Monday, April 29, 2013

LIFE LIST UPDATE: No. 330 - Listen to Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” from start to finish without interruption

I scratched another item off my “life list” on Sunday when I listened to Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” album from start to finish without interruption.

This is something that I’ve always wanted to do, but had just never taken the time to do it until this past weekend. I’d heard a number of the songs on the album before, but I could never honestly say that I’d listened to the entire album all the way through.

Many of you will be familiar with the British rock band Pink Floyd, which was formed in 1965. In all, the band recorded 14 studio albums, including:

- “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn” (1967)

- “A Saucerful of Secrets” (1968)

- “Soundtrack from the Film More” (1969)

- “Ummagumma” (1969)

- “Atom Heart Mother” (1970)

- “Meddle” (1971)

- “Obscured by Clouds” (1972)

- “The Dark Side of the Moon” (1973)

- “Wish You Were Here” (1975)

- “Animals” (1977)

- “The Wall” (1979)

- “The Final Cut” (1983)

- “A Momentary Lapse of Reason” (1987)

- “The Division Bell” (1994)

Pink Floyd’s three most famous albums are “The Dark Side of the Moon,” “Wish You Were Here” and “The Wall.”

“The Wall” is one of those iconic rock albums that I’ve know about ever since junior high school, and I added it to my “life list” last year after reading that Rolling Stone magazine ranked it No. 87 on its list of “The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time” in 2003. The album consists of 26 tracks and is one hour, 21 minutes and nine seconds long. Songs on the album include:

- “In the Flesh?”

- “The Thin Ice”

- “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1”

- “The Happiest Days of Our Lives”

- “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”

- “Mother”

- “Goodbye Blue Sky”

- “Empty Spaces”

- “Young Lust”

- “One of My Turns”
- “Don’t Leave Me Now”

- “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3”

- “Goodbye Cruel World”

- “Hey You”

- “Is There Anybody Out There?”

- “Nobody Home”

- “Vera”

- “Bring the Boys Back Home”

- “Comfortably Numb”

- “The Show Must Go On”

- “In the Flesh”

- “Run Like Hell”

- “Waiting for the Worms”

- “Stop”

- “The Trial”

- “Outside the Wall”

Many of you will recognize many of these songs, especially “Another Brick in the Wall,” “Hey You,” “Comfortably Numb” and “Run Like Hell.” The other songs on the album are not as well known, and I actually followed along to all of the songs with lyrics that I looked up online with my Kindle Fire. I think I got more out of the experience by doing it this way, following along with the words as the album played out.

In the end, I enjoyed scratching this item off my “life list” and will like add “Listen to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ to next year’s “life list.” How many of you out there have ever listened to “The Wall”? What did you think about it? Which of the song on the album is your favorite? Which other albums would you recommend listening to from start to finish?

No comments:

Post a Comment