Monday, August 18, 2014

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 169: Listen to ZZ Top’s “Eliminator” from start to finish

You have to live under a rock not to be at least somewhat familiar with the band ZZ Top. Known for their iconic beards that predate Duck Dynasty by several decades, this band has been rocking out since it first formed in Houston, Texas in 1969.

Despite the longevity and popularity of this band, I have to admit that I don’t know much about them, which is why I added one of their albums to my “bucket list” last year. When Rolling Stone magazine released its list of “500 Greatest Albums of All Time” in 2003, the compilers of that list included two ZZ Top albums, and I put the highest-ranking of those albums, “Eliminator,” on my bucket list.

On Sunday, I officially listened to this entire album from start to finish, and I no longer wonder why ZZ Top has such wide-ranging appeal. Ranked No. 398 on Rolling Stone’s “best of” list, “Eliminator” was released in 1983 and was ZZ Top’s eighth studio album. It was also ranked No. 30 on Rolling Stone’s list of “The 100 Greatest Albums of the 80s" and is the band's best-selling album.

Generally considered to be ZZ Top’s most popular album, “Eliminator” is 44 minutes and 28 seconds long and includes 11 songs. Well known songs from the album include “Gimme All Your Lovin,” “Got Me Under Pressure,” “Sharp Dressed Man” and “Legs.” All of those songs, in addition to “TV Dinners,” were also released as singles. Other songs on the album include “I Need You Tonight,” “I Got the Six,” “Thug,” “Dirty Dog,” “If I Could Only Flag Her Down” and “Bad Girl.”

I read later that in 2008, to mark the 25th anniversary of the original release of “Eliminator,” the album was remastered and re-released. That re-release contains seven bonus songs and a DVD. Bonus songs on the 2008 album include two different versions of “Legs,” a dance mix version and a single mix that is about half as long. You’ll also find live versions of “Gimme All Your Lovin,” “Sharp Dressed Man,” “I Got the Six,” “TV Dinners” and “Got Me Under Pressure" on the 2008 album.

The DVD includes footage of live performances and music videos. I haven’t watched this movie, but I plan to sometime soon. Maybe I’ll put on my “bucket list” next year.

The other ZZ Top album on Rolling Stone’s “500 Greatest Albums” list was “Tres Hombres,” which was ranked No. 490 on the list. “Tres Hombres” was released in 1973 and was the band’s third studio album. Their other albums include “ZZ Top's First Album” (1971), “Rio Grande Mud” (1972), “Fandango!” (1975), “Tejas” (1976), “Degüello” (1979), “El Loco” (1981), “Afterburner” (1985), “Recycler” (1990), “Antenna” (1994), “Rhythmeen” (1996), “XXX” (1999), “Mescalero” (2003) and “La Futura” (2012).


In the end, how many of you have ever listened to “Eliminator” from start to finish? What did you think about it? Is it your favorite ZZ Top album? If not, which is your favorite? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment