Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Questions remain about how the Boiling Springs community in Wilcox County, Alabama got its name

Boiling Spring Baptist Church
In the northwest corner of Wilcox County, on State Highway 28, about 21 miles from the courthouse square in Camden, sits the old community of Boiling Springs. Aside from a couple of old churches and cemeteries, little remains from the heyday of this once thriving village, which was once large enough to have its own post office. Today, even the community’s exact name appears up for debate.

Most sources give the name of this community as Boiling Springs, and this was the official name of the post office that was in operation there from 1877 to 1904. Other maps list it as Boiling Spring (without the “s” at the end) or Boling Spring, while other historical maps list it as Bolling Spring. Oddly, there is no entry for any of these names in Virginia O. Foscue’s authoritative book, “Place Names in Alabama.”

Just the other day, I happened to be traveling west on Highway 28 and found myself in the Boiling Springs community. Traffic was light, so I eased along with an eye towards taking a good, long look around. Not having anywhere pressing to be, I turned down the short road that leads to the Boiling Spring Baptist Church.

I spent a few minutes walking around the church, looking for a cornerstone that might indicate when the church was founded or when it was built. Finding none, I walked over to the small adjoining cemetery and closely examined the headstones, reading the names of many who no doubt once attended services at this remote country church. Just eyeballing it, I’d say there are about 40 graves here, many of which are unmarked.

I eventually climbed back in my truck and traveled a short distance down Highway 28 before cutting north on Boiling Spring Road. I eased down this dirt road for a few minutes before pulling over for a closer look at the Bethel A.M.E. Church. Here, I also walked around the church looking for a cornerstone, but did not find one that indicated when the church was founded or constructed.

Those who have been to this church before will know that there is an old, wood-frame building behind the church that looks somewhat out of place. It looks like it could have been an old house, and I wondered if maybe it had served as a pastorium at one time. On the other hand, maybe it was a small fellowship hall or perhaps a Sunday school building. In any event, today it is overgrown with brush with portions of the building falling in, and I could not help but wonder what purpose it served in days gone by.

Before leaving, I walked over to the church’s adjoining cemetery, which looks to contain about 30 graves. One grave in particular caught my eye, that of Tommie “Buster” Bryant, who passed away in 2002 at the age of 83. According to his headstone, he was the “Homecoming Founder of Bethel A.M.E. Church.”

Back in my truck, I again pondered the origin of the name “Boiling Springs.” I pulled out my trusty National Geographic map of Wilcox County, and it showed several creeks and streams in the area, but none so significant to be named on the map. Where then does the name “Boiling Springs” originate?

In the end, maybe someone in the reading audience will know how this community came to be called Boiling Springs. If so, please let me hear from you. I’d also like to hear from anyone in the reading audience with more information about this community’s history or from anyone who knows any old ghost stories or local legends from this part of the county.

No comments:

Post a Comment