Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wilcox County is full of unique places and memorable things to experience if you know where to look

Liberty Hall, located just outside Camden, Ala.
Today’s issue of The Wilcox Progressive Era marks the first edition of the new year, and at this point in the calendar year it’s hard to predict what 2021 has in store for us. Many of us at this time of year turn our thoughts to New Year’s resolutions and set goals for the year to come. I, too, have a long list of things that I’d like to accomplish during the year ahead.

Over the years, I’ve done a lot of riding around and exploring in Wilcox County. I’ve visited many unique places and have had many memorable experiences during my wanderings within the county’s borders. With that said, I still have a long list of things that I’d like to see and do in Wilcox County, hopefully within the year to come.

At the top of my list is the Purifoy-Lipscomb House at Furman, an antebellum home that is said to be one of most haunted places in Alabama. Made famous in Kathryn Tucker Windham’s book, “13 Alabama Ghosts & Jeffrey,” it’s said that you can sometimes hear the cries of a man who met his untimely demise while digging a well near the old house. I’ve been to Furman many times, but I’ve never paid a visit to this old home.

I’d also like to visit Mount Moriah Fellowship Baptist Church, which is located in Wilcox and Butler counties. It’s said that when you attend services at this church, the congregation is sitting in Wilcox County, while the preacher in the pulpit is standing in Butler County. From a geographical standpoint, this has got to be one of the most unique churches in Alabama.

I’d also love to tour and spend the night at Liberty Hall, an antebellum house turned bed and breakfast that’s located just outside of Camden. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this house was built in 1855 and is said to be one of the best-preserved homes of its type in Alabama. No doubt a night in this old mansion would be a like a trip back in time.

I’d also like to see the Stokes Alligator in person. Last I heard, this world-record alligator, which was caught in Wilcox County in 2014, was on display at the Corps of Engineers Resource Office at Miller’s Ferry. Along those same lines, I’d love to tag along with someone on a real alligator hunt, just for the opportunity to see one of these hunts in person and to write about the experience.

Those who know me also know that I love to eat, and with that in mind, I want to visit The Pecan on Broad in Camden. While my wife and daughter have been there many times, I’ve missed out on those trips to this relatively new eatery. I’ve been told that their chicken salad is to die for, so it sounds like I have that to look forward to.

Last, but not least, I want to officially join the Wilcox Historical Society. This is something that I’ve been meaning to do for years, but just haven’t taken the time to do so. I frequently deal with this society’s well-informed members, and I know that they publish an outstanding newsletter that contains much information about the county’s history. Individual memberships are just $15 per year.

In the end, I’m sure that many of you reading this column also have a long list of interesting places that you’d like to visit and things that you’d like to do in Wilcox County during the coming year. I’d like to hear what you’ve got on your list because I’m always on the lookout for new places to explore and things to see. No doubt many readers will know of interesting locations and activities that have never crossed my mind, so let me hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment