Friday, July 30, 2021

Little remains from the heyday of the old Keyser community in Wilcox County, Alabama

Between McWilliams and the old Ruthven community in the southeastern corner of the county, County Road 2 runs about five miles, just north and almost parallel to the Wilcox-Monroe County line.

Those of you who have traveled this route will know that there’s not a lot to see between McWilliams and Ruthven, that is, unless you take your time and keep your eyes open. You won’t find any homes or other buildings fronting this stretch of county road, but you’ll see plenty of flora and fauna if you chance along at the right time.

The other day, I found myself on this old road as I took the back way from McWilliams to Pine Apple. There wasn’t another vehicle in sight, so I eased along with an eye out for any old buildings that might hint at a time when this part of the county was more heavily populated. While I didn’t see any old buildings, I did see quite a bit.

As you travel east out of McWilliams, the road will take you over Grindstone Creek and Bull Bay Branch. Distinctive blue signs mark both of these small bodies of water, and they would be easy to miss if not for the signs. One can only wonder how these streams got their names.

Not much farther down the road, I came upon a rafter of turkeys that had just emerged from the woodline and into the bright sunshine. They were about 50 yards ahead of me, and as best I could make out, the group consisted of at least one hen and several poults. When they spotted my truck, they disappeared quickly into the shadowy woods on the opposite site of the road.

I continued to ease along and not much farther ahead, I spotted a long brown snake crossing the hot asphalt in the distance. I got right up on him and could see that he was a harmless chicken snake. My window rolled down, I leaned out a little and watched him until his long length vanished safely into the green roadside grass.

While sitting there watching the snake, I remembered that I was very close to what was once called the old Keyser community. I’ve seen Keyser noted on old maps that date way back to the early 1900s, but there’s no sign of it today along County Road 2. The best map of the area that I have shows Keyser located about half way between McWilliams and Ruthven.

From there, I continued on to the bridge over Bear Creek and to points beyond. As I crept along, I could not help but think about all that I’d seen along County Road 2 and about how almost nothing remains of the old Keyser community. Perhaps remnants of the old community can be found in the woods, somewhere off the road?

In the end, I’d like to hear from anyone in the reading audience with more information about the old Keyser community. I’m especially interested in any old ghost stories, local legends or Indian lore from this part of the county. If you know of anything along those lines, please let me know so that it can be documented for future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment