Monday, November 29, 2021

Eli McMorn and the Strange Case of Kill Devil Hill – Part 20

Around midnight, Corwin tossed a dry stick into the campfire and got to her feet. She hadn’t spoken in a long time, and without a word, she sluffed off towards her tent. With some difficulty, she crawled inside and zipped up the flap.

I wonder if she felt safer inside the thin-walled tent. She reminded me of a confused child with a blanket over her head, believing it would protect her from the ravages of the dreaded boogeyman. More than likely, there was nothing inside the cluttered closet or in the blackness under her bed in her Claiborne apartment. But out here, atop Kill Devil Hill, the boogeyman was very much real.

Her fellow folklore classmate, Abby Armitage, was more of a trooper. She sat on the other side of the campfire, her back against the gritty trunk of a thin pine, and stared into the dancing flames. She looked very tired, circling the drain towards sleep.

The unexplained noises and unnerving coyote howls that had upset Corwin so badly had died down over the past hour. The unknown thing was still out there. Every few minutes, I would hear its furtive movements in the forbidden woods about a hundred yards from where we sat. If the women heard these faint, eerie noises, they gave no sign.

I pulled out my antique pipe and leather tobacco pouch and prepared another smoke. Armitage perked up at this, and she watched me intently across the hot flames and rising smoke. I ignited the wad of pungent tobacco with my faithful Zippo, puffed a few times and exhaled a great cloud of gray smoke into the night air.

“Did you know that the Piachi Indians considered tobacco to be a powerful and sacred substance?” she asked.

The sound of her elfin female voice seemed too loud amidst the low crackle of the fire. I took another draw on the stem of my pipe and exhaled smoke into the endless night sky. “Is that right?”

She nodded. “They used it in ceremonies, rituals, prayers, peace talks, all kinds of stuff,” she said. “They used that and many other types of narco-stimulants or psychotropics. Medicine men thought tobacco was so mind-altering that it helped them bridge the gap between our world and the eldritch spirit world.”

I clamped my pipe between my teeth, picked up a thin pine stick and stirred the fire’s coals. “They may have been on to something,” I said. “Too bad it didn’t stop yellow fever.”

She smiled, a flash of white teeth. “They had all sorts of beliefs about tobacco,” she continued. “Some thought these sacred, shamanistic substances could invoke nature spirits or that they could appease natural forces by casting tobacco into a fire or running water. They also thought that it affected their dreams and allowed them to perform supernatural feats.”

Her words carried the tone of someone accustomed to the safe interior of a classroom or lecture hall. No doubt she was a good student who took her esoteric studies seriously. It was also evident that she was more tough-minded than most women. The enigmatic, bestial sounds that reduced her friend to blubbering fear had only steeled Armitage.

I took another deep draw on my pipe and realized how sleepy I’d gotten, sitting by the fire and listening to the young woman’s voice. I stood and stretched. Woodsmoke scent lifted off my clothes and filled my nostrils like so much October brimstone.

I gathered up an armful of wood and dropped it on the dying fire. The temperature had dropped, and I gathered my green field jacket around me. When I retook my seat, a glance across the fire told me that Armitage had fallen asleep in the warmth of the fire.

Inside my jacket pocket, my hand fell on my old World War II compass. On a whim, I pulled it out and flipped open its brass cover. In the light of the fire, I could see the red needle inside spin slowly in a confused attempt to find magnetic north.

It was around this time that my eyelids grew disturbingly heavy.

(All rights reserved. This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment