Thursday, February 9, 2012

Another Super Bowl has come and gone and so has another football season

It seems like I put the official “Peacock Kiss of Death” on the Patriots this year. I’ve been predicting them to win the Super Bowl for weeks now only to see them go down in flames Sunday night in the big game against the New York Giants.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin might just be the most underrated head coach in the NFL. He certainly has the Patriots’ number, and despite his team’s 13-7 overall record, they’re still going home with world championship rings.

----- 0 -----


As everyone knows, one of the most entertaining aspects of the annual Super Bowl is the commercials. We had a brief powwow about the commercials at the office on Monday, but we couldn’t come to a consensus over a favorite. The ladies seemed to like those that featured animals and babies, while me and the mailman got the biggest kicks out of those involving beer and pickup trucks.

I have to admit that if I had to pick a personal favorite, I’d go with the Skechers shoe commercial in which Mr. Quiggly, a French bulldog outraces a team of greyhounds only to moonwalk across the finish line, well ahead of the competition.

----- 0 -----


Much has been made over the halftime show, which featured Madonna and others. My wife and daughter were glued to the TV during all of that, but I must confess that I have no opinion on the performance. I took advantage of the break in the game to load the dishwasher, which is about the only productive thing that I managed to squeeze into my busy schedule on Sunday.

----- 0 -----


Maybe the worst thing about the Super Bowl is that it marks the official end of the football season. When I say football season, I’m not just talking about the pros. I’m talking about the pros, college, high school, everybody.

Around here, things always get going with the local high schools when they begin preseason practice in the fall. Practice for the upcoming 2012 season is scheduled to start on Aug. 6, so for those of you who are counting, we’ve got 179 days, or about six months, to wait until the start of next season.

Of course, if you can’t wait until August, you can always whet your thirst for football when spring football rolls around. We don’t have quite as long to wait for that small taste of football.

----- 0 -----


Before I close this thing out for another week, I’d like to wish our local high school basketball teams good luck during their postseason runs.

Sparta Academy’s girls made a rare early exit from the postseason last week, but Sparta’s varsity boys will head to Montgomery in pursuit of a state title. With a little luck, they could go a lot further than most people expect.

Hillcrest’s varsity boys and girls are playing in their area tournaments this week, and they’ve both got a good chance of getting to the subregional round and beyond. Hillcrest will face some tough competition along the way, but both Hillcrest teams are well coached and that will give them an edge in a lot of their upcoming games.

No comments:

Post a Comment