Sunday, November 24, 2019

Singleton said that mystery surrounded the origins of Aunt Lellia

George Buster Singleton

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Fond memories of Aunt Lellia” was originally published in the Nov. 19, 1987 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

She was a tall woman, mulatto-skinned with long braids of hair hanging down her back. She was in excellent health despite her advanced years. There were those who said that she was well over 70, and then there were those who said that no one rightly knew just how old Aunt Lellia was.

But one thing was for sure: there was always an air of mystery around this woman. And for a boy of six, there wasn’t anything in the whole world that Aunt Lellia didn’t know about.

I can see her now – tall, straight, with eyes that seemed to look right through you, especially when you did something wrong. That look got your attention.

She didn’t talk much unless she liked someone; then she would talk for hours on end about the past years and the many things that could keep a young boy’s attention. I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that she was the smartest person who lived anywhere.

Tales and legends

She would sit for hours and unfurl the tales and legends of her early years. The stories she told would raise the hair along the neck of the boy who absorbed every word.

She could walk like no one else. Her pace was such that I had to trot just to keep up with her. The long, straight walking stick was never used to assist in her walking. The stick rarely touched the ground. When asked why she carried it at all, the answer was that if she needed it, she would have it with her.

Always, across her left shoulder, hanging by a stout strap, Aunt Lellia carried her mystery satchel. There was always many good things that came out of that satchel. Things like parched peanuts, roasted pecans, popcorn candy sweetened with honey, and many other goodies.

Also in that satchel of mystery were carried all the medicines and cures for almost any ailment. There was the black, evil-smelling salve that was always used for a stumped toe, which happened quite often. A certain piece of bark that you chewed, should you have the toothache. Then there were the everyday cures for sorehead on the chickens. And a certain grass that, when boiled, was an ideal spring tonic. Aunt Lellia had a remedy for everything; she had the cure for it all.

Background was a mystery

No one knew just where Aunt Lellia came from. She didn’t talk much about this subject – only the times past. Never did she mention her family during her early childhood. She and her husband had come through the area where I was raised and had settled near our homeplace.

Aunt Lellia delivered me when I was born. I have heard the story many times. I was born on a rough and stormy night. Due to road conditions and the fact that I was two weeks early, and the lack of communications, the family doctor didn’t get the word in time. Aunt Lellia was summoned as a midwife.

I was, in some way, very special to this wonderful woman. Since she had no children of her own, she called me her “baby.” I was to learn over the years that this privilege of being called “baby” brought with it many benefits that would have otherwise been denied, and had I not been her favorite. Because of this, I had access to all the patience and knowledge that Aunt Lellia possessed.

A lifetime friendship

When Aunt Lellia’s husband passed away many years before, she was left alone. Since she had no family to look after her, she became almost totally dependent on my family for survival. This was no problem because one or two extra around at mealtime at our house didn’t make any difference. There was always plenty of good homecooked food for everyone. And my mother saw to it that Aunt Lellia had the things that she needed. A bond of friendship between these two was to last a lifetime. Aunt Lellia was always there to help.

Since I was the youngest, the baby of the family, many of my teachings about everyday life were administered by this stern and wonderful woman. The times that I would get spanked when I was naughty, would end up with me getting petted and hugged. These hugging sessions quickly taught me that during these times I could utilize many other side benefits also. I could get almost anything I wanted if I cried just right.

The years passed, and Aunt Lellia became more and more dependent upon her walking stick. Her step became slower, her walks not so far. She became quieter. She often spoke to me about her taking a long journey. Being young and full of energy, I didn’t realize that she spoke of death and the passing from this life. Her talk of traveling beyond the sunrise seemed strange to me.

Saying goodbye

Then that day in May, the day after my graduation from high school, I saw Aunt Lellia for the last time. I told her goodbye prior to boarding the bus and beginning the journey that would eventually end at the Marine training barracks at Parris Island, S.C.

I wasn’t told of her death until my first leave home. I was told then, also, about a promise made between her and my mother several years back. Just before her plain and simple coffin was closed forever, a tiny photograph of a small, barefoot boy was placed almost unnoticed by the side of this gentle and sleeping woman. The promise had been fulfilled. Aunt Lellia’s wish had been granted.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vinc
ent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment