Sunday, January 26, 2020

Singleton relays holiday memories of an old, abandoned country home

Ball of mistletoe in a tree top.

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “A Christmas Story” was originally published in the Dec. 23, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

This is the story of a house. Built in the early 1800s in what used to be a thriving county community, this old house tells its story:

“I came into being some years before the Civil War. Though I am old and have been deserted for many years, it has not always been this way. My yards are grown over with weeds and brush, and the only sound I hear is the sighing wind through my broken windows and the creaking of my foundations as they settle to the decay of time.

“My hearths are cold, because there is no one to kindle the fires to keep out the chill. My family, the ones that built me, lie sleeping in the church yard up the road aways. I am alone now, but there was a time when I knew the sound of laughter and the patter of little feet in my hallways. These walls hold many memories – dear memories that will dwell within until my foundations crumble and return to the ground from which they came. But before this happens, let me tell of happier times.

“Of all that I remember, I think the happiest times that I recall were at Christmas. This was always the most special time of the year with my family.

“I remember the huge cedar tree that was brought out of the woods and trimmed to perfection before it was placed in the front room. The front room was where all the company that came to visit was received. The nicest bed, the best chairs, the sofa, and the piano were in the front room.

“After the tree was in place, decorations were made and pine cones painted all different colors. The sweet gum burrs were dipped in silver paint to look like huge snow flakes hanging in my windows. There also was the Indian corn with the many colored ears and they hung in clusters at each end of the mantel.

“I could never forget the colorful paper chains looped about the tree, with handmade little paper bells hanging everywhere. Always there was the silver star, made from tin foil saved from the chewing gum wrappers, in the top of the tree. The star was always carefully packed away after the holidays, so it could be used next year.

“Oh, yes. I almost forgot about that bunch of mistletoe tacked up in the hallway, just outside the front room door. All the young men would try and catch the young ladies under it, so they could kiss them. They would giggle and always would keep an eye on the older folks around the fire, hoping that they wouldn’t see and hear what was going on.

“I remember the little ones who were looking for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. Each would place a box or a hat, and on occasion the dishpan, for old Santa to put the candy and fruit in. That was out all they got, because times were hard, and there wasn’t much money around.

“There would always be a fire left to burn in the fire place. Not a big one, but one large enough to warm Santa’s hands and feet. The coffee pot was placed beside the fire place, so that all Santa had to do was to drag out a few coals with the fire poker and warm the coffee left for him.

“After supper, all the little ones were sent off to bed in the loft. For the next two or three hours, threatening calls would come from the fire side telling them that if they didn’t go to sleep, Santa Claus wasn’t coming.

“Finally, when there were no more sounds from the loft, a hurried trip was made to the smoke house out back for a taste of homemade blackberry wine. This would help pass the hours while waiting for Santa Claus.

“The next morning was always rough on me, but really I didn’t mind. The little ones would wake up early and nearly knock the stairs down, coming to see what they had in the Christmas boxes. The fires were built up and the warmth slowly crept all over the floors and walls, giving me a peaceful feeling for the day ahead.

“I’ll never forget that breakfast my family served on Christmas morning. It was something to behold – those hot biscuits with the cane syrup, and always several kinds of meat. And on this day, they always served sliced cheese, which was some kind of family tradition, I think. And always there was fried chicken – that too was kinda special.

“Along about nine o’clock, the company would start arriving. I can hear the horses now stamping on the gravel rocks outside the gate. They were impatient to get in the barn where it was warm and where there was plenty of hay. I remember the jingle of the harnesses as the men folks unhitched the wagons, talking and laughing, hurrying to get back to the fire.

“I could never describe in detail, all the different kinds of pies, cakes and custards, and all the other food that came out of those wagons. Ham, turkey, roasts, and just about everything that one could imagine was put on the table. There were times when I really felt sorry for that table, loaded down with all that food.

“After the meal was over, everyone would gather around that heavy piano and sing Christmas carols. I’ll never forget that piano, it was so heavy until extra blocks had to be installed under the front room floor to keep it from sagging. I didn’t really mind because that piano had a sound unlike any piano in the county. That after-dinner singing was sure something to remember.

“I knew the day was about to end, when I heard the rattle of harnesses and the sound of the wagon wheels on the roadway outside. As the last goodbyes were said, quiet would come again to my hallways, and the fire was left to die away in the fireplace of the front room.

“Those days are gone, and many seasons have passed since I have felt the warmth of Christmas within me. The chill of age dwells inside my walls as the north wind blows its cold damp breath through my broken windows and doors. Perhaps in time, someone will come and claim me again. Then laughter and warmth will abide within these walls and the mistletoe will hand over the front room door as before. Christmas will come again, but until that time, I will just remember.”

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment