Thursday, March 10, 2022

Reader reports strange activity at the supposedly haunted Coy Cemetery in Wilcox County, Alabama

An anonymous reader contacted me last week to report strange activity that backs up what many have said about the supposedly haunted Coy Cemetery.

Many sources say that visitors to this cemetery have reported seeing an eerie, unexplained light over the graves and have heard disembodied voices from unknown sources. Over the years, some witnesses have even reported hearing their names called out by unseen spirits.

The anonymous reader informed me that many of her family members are buried in this large, country cemetery southwest of Camden. She went on to say that she too has heard disembodied voices “many times” during visits to this cemetery with her grandmother.

“Now, when I go there, I sometimes think that I hear her voice in the wind,” the reader said.

I have only visited this cemetery once, about five years ago, on a cold, blustery day in February. I’d heard unusual stories about this cemetery for years, and I wanted to see it for myself.

Many readers will know that this cemetery is located at the dead end of Coy Cemetery Road, a narrow strip of pavement that runs off of County Road 13. Given its somewhat remote location, this cemetery is not the type of place that you’ll encounter on the way to somewhere else. You have to have a reason to be there.

Even though five years have passed, I vividly remember getting out of my truck that day and getting the overwhelming sense that I shouldn’t have come alone. I walked up to the main gate and stood there for what seemed like a long time, listening and watching. The place was eerily quiet except for the sound of the wind blowing through the treetops.

The metal gate screeched closed behind me as I entered the cemetery and began to look around. At first glance, it was obvious that this cemetery had been in use for a long, long time. There was a strong mix of old-fashioned and modern grave markers, and I noted that the cemetery is far from full.

In all, I’d say that there are well over 200 graves in this large cemetery, and the oldest one that I could find belongs to Winfield R. Primm, a 51-year-old Virginia native who died on June 26, 1835. I think it’s possible that there are many other older graves in this cemetery because I saw more than a few unmarked and illegible graves.

Eventually, I began to walk back towards my truck, and all was quiet and still as I made sure the gate was shut tight behind me. It was then, in that moment, that I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard what sounded like a man’s voice. Had someone called my name? I looked around, unsure, expecting to see someone on the adjacent property, but no one was there.

Initially, I chalked up what I’d heard to an overactive imagination while alone in a spooky place, but as I drove home, I couldn’t help but wonder if I’d actually heard the disembodied voice that so many other cemetery visitors have reported over the years. In the end, there’s no way to know for sure, but one thing’s for certain: The next time I visit the Coy Cemetery, I will not go alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment