Thursday, February 8, 2024

Singleton saw the 'strange mystery light' of Franklin at least six times

George Buster Singleton
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Mystery light of Franklin seen after many decades” was originally published in the Feb. 3, 1994 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

During my 30 years of being a part of Monroe County, I have seen and have been a part of many strange happenings.

I have visited many places time and time again in hopes of seeing something that is supposed to take place on a given date or time, such as ghosts or spirits or something pertaining to the supernatural. On many of these excursions, I have seen what I had gone there to see. There have been times, however, when I returned from an all-night vigil without seeing the slightest sign of any weird happenings.

Perhaps the strangest phenomenon of any of the unusual happenings within the area, one that has been witnessed by the most people, is the mystery light of the Franklin area.

During my treks across the county, I have talked to not less than 50 people who have witnessed this strange event. And, though odd as it may seem, it is not always seen in the same place. An area of several miles of this rural country seems to be the playground of these mysterious sightings.

Interesting happenings

Shortly after my arrival in the county, when word got out that I was interested in the happenings of the supernatural, I was told about the mystery light of Franklin. As I became familiar with the roads and the locations of various landmarks, I couldn’t wait to venture forth and try my luck in locating and seeing this strange light of mystery.

Several trips were made into the areas of Finchburg and Franklin, seeking to lay eyes on this mysterious phenomenon. Then, as I became more and more familiar with the county, I ventured forth into the Red Hills area, hoping that perhaps around the next turn of that crooked country road there it would be.

Each time the mystery light was mentioned, I would take a mental note as to where it had been seen. I could hardly wait for the time to arrive when I could go forth, hoping to see for myself this strange mystery. Several trips were made without success.

As the evening shadows began to creep across the countryside, I would mount my trail bike and head up Highway 41. Reaching the crossroads above the Franklin store, I would turn east or perhaps west, in hopes that I might be lucky enough to get just one glimpse of this weird event.

Blood ran cold

One night in late October, I ventured into the Claiborne Lock & Dam area. Turning around near the Williams store, I was about to mark up another trip to total failure. As I made my way back toward home and a warm bed, there beside the road, down in a small stream, I saw something that made my blood run cold.

There within the shallow ravine was the mystery light that I had searched for many times. Braking my trail bike, I watched in amazement as the strange light slowly moved back and forth across the small, shallow stream beside the road. This movement went on for about two or three minutes. Then, the strange light slowly gained elevation and after reaching the height of about 15 feet above ground, it slowly disappeared from sight, as it seemed to follow the small stream into the deep woods.

As I kicked the engine of my motorcycle to life, I was overjoyed that I had been successful this night to see that which I had been seeking. As I made my way homeward, I vowed to try at every available opportunity to witness again this strange phenomenon. Little did I know that I was to see this mystery light several times more in the coming years.

As I stated earlier, these sightings have never been in the same place twice. During the cool nights of the early autumns, I enjoy riding the back roads of the Franklin and Finchburg areas.

Once, the mystery light was spotted along the road as I returned from the area of Nancy Mountain, near an old abandoned house. Then, it was seen one night close to Highway 41, not too far from the Deere Cemetery. One night, venturing down through the Scratch Ankle community, I descended the hill where the road connects with the road to the Lock & Dam, and there it was, just up the road from the overflowing well. Since my first encounter, I have witnessed this strange mystery light six times.

A few days before Christmas, I stopped at the old store in Franklin for a cold soda pop. As I drank the refreshing soda, I overheard a conversation between two local men about the mystery light. “I saw that darn light again last night. It played along the top of a fence right near my house for several minutes. I even went out in my yard to look at it. Then, it slowly disappeared across the field.”

The other man replied, “I have seen it so many times in the area where I live that I don’t pay it much attention any more. But even after you get used to it, it still makes you feel funny when you see it.” Then each replayed the names of several local people who had seen it in the past few months. Each time, the sightings were never in any of the same places.

What could be the circumstances pertaining to this strange mystery light? I have hard several opinions as to the reason. Those who witness this mystery most always relate their theory. Could this be the spirit of someone of long past searching for something or someone in the area. Perhaps it searches for a lover of long ago who came this way and was never heard of again. Or, could it be a wandering spirit, seeking out an old home place that has been destroyed. Maybe it has become confused and continues to search.

Somewhere in time, the answer might be forthcoming, but then again, it might never. As of now, we can only speculate and wonder.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, was bitten at least twice by venomous snakes, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He also helped organize the Monroe County Museum and Historical Society and was also a past president of that organization. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment