Thursday, November 26, 2015

Daily Rainfall Observations from SW Alabama for Thurs., Nov. 26, 2015

Rainfall (past 24 hours): 0.00 inches

Week to Date Rainfall: 0.00 inches

Month to Date Rainfall: 7.30 inches

Fall to Date Rainfall: 11.45 inches

Year to Date Rainfall: 47.85 inches

Notes: Today is the 330th day of 2015 and the 65th day of Fall. There are 34 days left in the year.

Readings taken at 0700 hours Central Standard Time (1300 GMT) daily, just west of the Monroe-Conecuh County line and south of U.S. Highway 84, near Excel, Alabama, USA, in the vicinity of Lat 31.42834°N Lon 87.30131°W. Elevation: 400 feet above sea level. CoCoRaHS Station No. AL-MN-4, Station Name: Excel 2.5 ESE.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Evergreen Courant's Sports Flashback for Nov. 25, 2015

NOV. 25, 1976

This deer with the most unusual feet was killed Saturday morning. The deer had no hoofs, but rather long, talon-like toes which measured about 8-1/2 inches. The deer got the talons hung in a dogwood bush and was killed by the dogs chasing it. Veteran Game Warden W.A. Thames said he had never seen anything like the hoofs on this deer. Taking part in the hunt and bringing in the deer were W.L. “Sonny” Barlow, Billy Wayne Godwin and Lamar Godwin, all of Castleberry, who were hunting in Murder Creek swamp.

Kim Covin was selected Miss Football of the Conecuh County High Tiny Mites for homecoming. Sharron Baggett was first alternate and Bobbie Baggett was second alternate.

NOV. 23, 1961

The Lyeffion Quarterback Club honored the Lyeffion High School football team at a banquet Friday night at The Grill. It was the first time such an event had been staged and marks another milestone in the steady program of the QB’s to help the athletic program.
The banquet was given in appreciation of the efforts of the players and Coach Shirley Frazier. QB President Frank Chavers served as master of ceremonies. Speaking briefly were Guy S. Kelly, county superintendent of education and former Lyeffion principal, and Bob Bozeman, editor of The Courant.
Coach Frazier presented certificates to the players earning letters and to the cheerleaders and also talked briefly about each boy. The Yellow Jackets do not lose a single player this year and had only two in the 11th grade, so future prospects are bright.

The Conecuh County High School Blue Devils are beginning their cage season Nov. 28 with T.R. Miller High School in Brewton.
There are two returning lettermen: Haskew Page, a senior, and Henry Foster, a junior. The rest of the team is made up of juniors and they are: Larry Janes, Theo Ryals, Wayne Sims, Donnie Kast, Lester Warren, Dudley Jones and Thomas Shipp.
The Blue Devils are looking forward to playing their home games this year in a new gymnasium that was completed during the summer.
Coach Wayne Pope said, “We have great hopes for the boys this year as they shoulder the responsibility of maintaining the reputation of our school.”

County Teams Play Here Nov. 30: Coach John Law Robinson of Evergreen High School announced today that basketball season for Conecuh County teams will open at Memorial Gym, Evergreen, Nov. 30, at 7 o’clock. A big doubleheader is slated for that night with Evergreen vs. Castleberry and Lyeffion vs. Repton.
Advance tickets are on sale now by all schools. He also said a limited number of 650 seats will be available.
Robinson said the Conecuh County Invitational Tournament will be played in Evergreen Dec. 21-22. The Conecuh County Tournament will be Jan. 12-13 at a site yet to be selected.

NOV. 28, 1946

The Evergreen Aggies, playing their final game for Coach Wendell Hart, handed Brundidge a 54-0 defeat on a rain soaked field. Again it was Glenn McIntyre, Aggie halfback, who led the team to their sixth win of the season.
Brundidge kicked off and the Aggies roared back to their own 41 with the kick. Ivey made nine and Carpenter got loose for eight yards. Ivey picked up six more and then McIntyre made six to the Tiger 30. Carpenter got 11 and then McIntyre, behind perfect blocking, went over for a score. A pass from Carpenter to Logue was good for the extra point.
The Aggies drove for another touchdown shortly after Ryan recovered a fumble on the Tiger 35. Logue drove for 11 yards and McIntyre went the rest of the way for six more points. Logue then passed to Pierce for another point.
Brundidge was forced to punt and Logue handed the ball off to Carpenter who sprinted for 68 yards and a touchdown. A pass to Ryan from Logue made the score 21-0.
Led by Billy Carpenter, the reserves took over and soon found themselves with the ball on the Tiger 27 after a 13-yard run-back of a punt. Billy Carpenter made 15 yards and then picked up two. Davis was held for no gain and a pass from Robinson was incomplete. Ryan then took a pass on the Tiger two and fell across the goal line. A quarterback sneak was short by inches and the score was 27-0.
Logue intercepted a Tiger pass and ran to the 30-yard line. After an incomplete pass, Carpenter raced around end for 30 yards, but a clipping penalty nullified the run. A pass to Ivey was incomplete and Carpenter punted.
The Aggies took over on downs on the Tiger 35 and a pass was incomplete. McIntyre made one yard and a pass from Logue to Pierce was good for 30 yards to the Tiger six. McIntyre went over on the next play and a pass from Logue to Ryan made the score 34-0.
The Tigers were forced to punt and Logue broke loose for 50 yards to the 20-yard line. McIntyre took the ball on first down and scored standing up. Ivey’s conversion made it 41-0.
After driving to the Aggie 32, the Tigers were held for downs. After a five-yard penalty, Logue threw a pass to Ivey that was incomplete. Logue then ran for one-yard. Carpenter punted out to the Brundidge 40.
The Tigers failed to move anywhere but backwards, so they punted to the Aggie 35 and the kick was brought back to the Brundidge 27. Ivey made six and Billy Carpenter got two more. After two penalties, the Aggies fumbled and lost one yard. McIntyre made 20 yards for a first down. Ivey lost one and a five-yard penalty was stepped off against Brundidge. Ivey lost one, and he then took a lateral and made 11 yards and a touchdown. Davis ploughed over for another point.
The Aggies took over on the Aggie 42 after the Tigers punted. A pass was incomplete and Carpenter made 20 yards. Billy Carpenter then got loose for 28 yards to the Tiger 10. Davis made two and Brantley went over in two plays. The extra point was no good and the game ended a few plays later.

NOV. 26, 1931

Conecuh Hi Defeats Wallace 12 To 0: Castleberry, Nov. 24 – Two touchdowns in the final quarter gave Conecuh County High School a 12-0 victory over Wallace Friday in the second game of the season between the teams. The teams battled in mud and rain for nearly three quarters of the game, which, however, was hard fought and interesting.
Early in the fourth quarter, Wallace was forced to punt from its 12-yard line. Jim Garrett, Castleberry end, caught the punt about Wallace’s 40-yard line, shook off two men, then ran up the sideline, nearly being forced out of bounds by two Wallace men, when suddenly Kent Matthews dived under both to do the prettiest blocking of the game, Garrett ran the remaining distance without being touched.
The second touchdown came late in the fourth quarter when “Red” Barlow caught another Wallace punt and ran 23 yards to the goal line.
J.C. Quimby, Castleberry center, is believed to have set some sort of a record by blocking three Wallace punts and partially blocking another during the game. It was the first game in which he had played this position, having formerly being used in the backfield. Albreast and Garrett, the only seniors on the Castleberry team, played their last high school game in fine style.

Mr. Milton Ladd, Dr. Townsend and Stanley Fountain of Mobile came up last Saturday on a dove hunt out near Belleville. They were joined by Dr. H.C. Fountain and Mr. W.D. Lewis from this place.

This afternoon Evergreen Aggies will play the Monroeville team at Gantt Field, the game to be called at 2:00. This game is expected to be a hard fought one and all local fans who can, will be on hand to see the contest.

Today in History for Nov. 25, 2015

Paul Siple
Nov. 25, 1692 – In connection with the Salem witchcraft trials, the Massachusetts General Court established a Superior Court to pardon remaining witches.

Nov. 25, 1783 - Nearly three months after the Treaty of Paris was signed ending the American Revolution, the last British soldiers withdrew from New York City, the last British military position in the United States. After the last Redcoat departed New York, U.S. General George Washington entered the city in triumph to the cheers of New Yorkers. The city had remained in British hands since its capture in September 1776, and four months after New York was returned to the victorious Patriots, the city was declared to be the capital of the United States.

Nov. 25, 1813 – The United Grand Lodge of England was organized.

Nov. 25, 1825 – John Murphy of Monroe County, Ala. was inaugurated Governor of Alabama. Born in 1786 in Robeson County, N.C., he died Sept. 21, 1841 in Clarke County.

Nov. 25, 1829 – John Murphy’s term as Alabama’s governor officially ended.

Nov. 25, 1835 – American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie was born in Dunfermline, Scotland.

Nov. 25, 1861 – The Confederate Rest section (originally called Soldiers Rest) was added to the New Burial Ground cemetery (now Magnolia Cemetery in Mobile, Ala.) for Confederate soldiers.

Nov. 25, 1861 – During the Civil War, Judah P. Benjamin, Confederate Secretary of War, ordered captured bridge burners in East Tennessee to the tried and hanged if found guilty.

Nov. 25, 1861 – During the Civil War, the Confederate Naval Department was in the process of converting the USS Merrimack into the Confederate iron-clad, renamed the CSS Virginia. It was a race against time and the USS Monitor, and time was running out for Commander Catesby ap Roger Jones of the Confederate navy. It was well known (at least in the higher reaches of the Confederate Navy Secretary’s office) that the Federal Navy was working on a revolutionary armor-plated warship. The South needed a counterpart, and the solution had been to refloat the partially-burned hulk of a ship called Merrimack which had been sunk in Norfolk Navy Yard when the Federal forces abandoned the area. The parts of the vessel damaged by fire were mostly areas that would have had to be removed to accommodate the new design anyway. The first load of armor plate was on Nov. 25, received by Navy Secretary Stephen Mallory, and sent on to Jones to become the skin of the reborn CSS Virginia.

Nov. 25, 1863 – During the Battle of Missionary Ridge at Missionary Ridge in Tennessee, Union forces led by General Ulysses S. Grant broke the Siege of Chattanooga by routing Confederate troops under General Braxton Bragg. The Confederates suffered some 6,600 men killed, wounded and missing, and the Union lost around 5,800. Grant missed an opportunity to destroy the Confederate army when he chose not to pursue the retreating Rebels, but Chattanooga was secured.

Nov. 25, 1864 – A group of Confederate operatives calling themselves the Confederate Army of Manhattan started fires in more than 20 locations in an unsuccessful attempt to burn down New York City.

Nov. 25, 1864 – The last issue of The Claiborne Herald newspaper was published in Claiborne, Ala.

Nov. 25, 1865 – German explorer and scholar Heinrich Barth died in Berlin at the age of 44. Barth is thought to be one of the greatest of the European explorers of Africa, as his scholarly preparation, ability to speak and write Arabic, learning African languages, and character meant that he carefully documented the details of the cultures he visited. He was among the first to comprehend the uses of oral history of peoples, and collected many.

Nov. 25, 1881 – Pope Saint John XXIII was born Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli in Lombardi, Italy.

Nov. 25, 1909 – Prominent Monroeville, Ala. lawyer Francis W. Hare married Mary Stallworth.

Nov. 25, 1914 – National Baseball Hall of Fame center fielder Joe DiMaggio was born in Martinez, California. He played his entire career for the New York Yankees. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1955.

Nov. 25, 1915 – On this Thanksgiving Thursday, “Monsieur Lecoq,” starring William Morris and Florence LaBadie, was to be shown at the Arcade Theatre in Evergreen, Ala.

Nov. 25, 1915 – The Monroe Journal reported that E.L. Covan, who lived in northeastern Monroe County, Ala., had killed a 17-month old shoat that dressed out at 522 pounds. The pig was of the Duroc-Bekshire-Tamworth strain. He also killed three older pigs with a combined dressed weight of 1,115 pounds.

Nov. 25, 1915 – Einstein submitted his paper “The Field Equations of Gravitation” for publication. The paper included 10 equations, which made up his Theory of General Relativity.

Nov. 25, 1921 - The first play-by-play broadcast of a football game was aired in College Station, Texas via an amateur radio station. The game was between the University of Texas and Texas A&M in Austin.

Nov. 25, 1923 – Former Evergreen mayor Henry Albert “H.A.” Shields passed away at the age of 74 in Evergreen, Ala. Thirty-five years before his death, Shields first came to Evergreen as the roadmaster of the L&N Railroad. He was a leading member of the local Methodist Church and for many years was Sunday School superintendent. He served several terms as Evergreen’s mayor and also served as Evergreen’s town clerk and treasurer. He also served as Worshipful Master of the local Masonic Lodge. He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery (and his tombstone says he passed away on Dec. 4, 1923).

Nov. 25, 1937 - The movie “Nothing Sacred,” story by James H. Street, was released.

Nov. 25, 1940 - Capt. W.D. Lewis, commander of the Evergreen, Alabama’s national guard unit, Battery C, 117th Field Artillery, ordered all men under his command to report to the armory on this Monday morning at 8 a.m. for “preparatory duty prior to the unit’s departure for Camp Blanding, Fla., where they will spend a year in intensive military training.” About 99 men are expected to make the trip, and the unit was expected to arrive at Blanding on or around Dec. 11, when they were to become a unit in the regular army.

Nov. 25, 1950 – The Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950, known at the time as the "Storm of the Century", struck New England with hurricane force winds resulting in massive forest blow-downs and storm surge damage along the Northeast coast including New York City. This storm also brought blizzard conditions to the Appalachian Mountains and Ohio Valley, becoming one of the worst storms of all time. The storm paralyzed the Northeast, with winds up to 100 miles per hour, sub-zero temperatures, and 57 inches of snow. Three hundred fifty-three people died in the event.

Nov. 25, 1960 – John F. Kennedy Jr. was born in Washington, D.C., two weeks after his father, John F. Kennedy Sr. was elected president of the United States. His mother was Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy.

Nov. 25, 1963 – NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar was born in Youngstown, Ohio. He would go on to play for the Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins.

Nov. 25, 1965 - The first color broadcast of an NFL game aired on CBS. The Detroit Lions and the Baltimore Colts played to a 24-24 tie.

Nov. 25, 1968 – American geographer and explorer Paul Siple died at the age of 59 at the Army Research Center in Arlington, Virginia. Siple took part in six Antarctic expeditions, including the two Byrd expeditions of 1928–1930 and 1933–1935, representing the Boy Scouts of America as an Eagle Scout. With Charles F. Passel he developed the wind chill factor, and Siple coined the term.

Nov. 25, 1974 – Monroe Academy football standout Keith Pugh announced that he would sign a scholarship with the University of Alabama on Dec. 14.

Nov. 25, 1976 - O.J. Simpson of the Buffalo Bills ran for 273 yards against the Detroit Lions.

Nov. 25, 1976 – NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb was born in Chicago, Ill. He went on to play college football at Syracuse and was the No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. During his NFL career, he played for the Philadelphia Eagles, the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings.

Nov. 25, 1984 - The television program “The Word Processor of the Gods,” teleplay by Alabama author Robert McDowell, was broadcast as part of the “Tales from the Darkside” series.

Nov. 25, 2000 – Pensacola, Fla. firefighter Marvin M. Bartholemew was killed in the line of duty.

Nov. 25, 2002 - Pete Rose and Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig met secretly to discuss Rose's lifetime ban from baseball.

Nov. 25, 2008 – Uriah, Ala. native Lambert C. Mims, who served four terms as Mobile’s mayor, passed away in Mobile, Ala. at the age of 78.

Daily Rainfall Observations from SW Alabama for Wed., Nov. 25, 2015

Rainfall (past 24 hours): 0.00 inches

Week to Date Rainfall: 0.00 inches

Month to Date Rainfall: 7.30 inches

Fall to Date Rainfall: 11.45 inches

Year to Date Rainfall: 47.85 inches

Notes: Today is the 329th day of 2015 and the 64th day of Fall. There are 35 days left in the year.

Readings taken at 0700 hours Central Standard Time (1300 GMT) daily, just west of the Monroe-Conecuh County line and south of U.S. Highway 84, near Excel, Alabama, USA, in the vicinity of Lat 31.42834°N Lon 87.30131°W. Elevation: 400 feet above sea level. CoCoRaHS Station No. AL-MN-4, Station Name: Excel 2.5 ESE.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 244: Visit Indian Springs Baptist Church in McWilliams

Indian Springs Baptist Church
Indian Springs Baptist Church is one of the oldest churches in all of Monroe County, Ala., and I’ve heard people talk about it for as long as I can remember. I’d been in the vicinity of this church many times, but I’d never taken the time to actually see it in person. For this reason, I placed a trip to this old church on my “bucket list” several years ago.

Indian Springs Baptist Church is located on Indian Springs Road in the McWilliams community, northeast of the Town of Beatrice. It’s about 1.7 miles from the intersection of State Highway 21 and Indian Springs Road, and at this intersection you’ll find an historical marker about the church that was put in place by the Alabama Historical Association in 2003.

If you decided to see this church for yourself, I highly suggest that you take the time to stop and read the historical marker, which reads as follows:

“INDIAN SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH: This sanctuary was built one mile west of this site about 1825 near springs used by local Indians. The original wood-frame building survived virtually unchanged, with no modern conveniences. An Indian Springs petitionary letter was presented to the Bethlehem Baptist Association, meeting in Monroe County, by L.W. Lindsay and A. Curry on 26 September 1834. The petition was cordially received by the association.

“The newly constituted church had 22 charter members and held Sabbath meetings on third Sundays. Baptisms were held in the springs nearby which gave the church its name. For more than a century the modest church was an inspiration as our ancestors brought forth the earth’s bounty, worshiped God and led lives of quiet dignity.

“Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on 26 June 2003.”

On Sunday morning, my son and I paid a quick visit to this church and checked it out for about 15 minutes. No services were being held, so we parked, got out and took a good look around. We also spent a few minutes exploring the church’s sizeable cemetery.

When I got home, I dug around and found an old photocopy of an article someone sent me about the church that told even more about the church’s history. According to that article, “records indicate that Cullen Mims founded this church in 1825 along with 22 members. The church was built near the mineral springs in a clearing deep in a wooded section near McWilliams. It is an area once inhabited by Indians who got their water from these well known springs.

“The area was not isolated when the church was founded as 62 families lived within a radius of two miles. Families were large in those early days and the membership of the church had grown to 372 members.

“The wood framed church was set on three-foot stone pillars and was put together with pegs and square headed nails. Lamp hooks that hung from the ceiling are still intact. The rostrum, pulpit and pews are still handmade and still in place although regular services were discontinued in 1989. A baptismal pool is a square structure located at the bottom of the hill and fed by a pipe leading from the springs that flow constantly regardless of dry weather.

“The late John D. Forte, one time Superintendent of Education in Monroe County, attended this church regularly when he was a boy. Family names in the church cemetery include Cullen, Maxwell, Grimes, Crosby, Smith, Fore, McPherson and Lyons, along with others.

“An annual homecoming, including a preaching service, is held once a year on the first Sunday in May.”

One interesting note about the graveyard there is that when you pass through the main entrance to the cemetery you pass between two brick columns topped with a metal arch that reads “Indian Springs.” On one of the columns, you’ll find a marker that reads, “In Memory of Cynthia and Cullen Mims, these gates, arch and columns were donated to Indian Springs Cemetery by Alice Maxwell Brantley, daughter of Margaret Mims and James Franklin Maxwell and granddaughter of Cynthia and Cullen Mims, Nov. 11, 1955.”

In the end, how many of you have been to Indian Springs Baptist Church? What did you think about it? What other old churches do you know of that are “bucket list” worthy? Let us know in the comments section below.

Today in History for Nov. 24, 2015

Zachary Taylor
Nov. 24, 1434 – The River Thames in London, England froze over, and the freeze lasted until February 1435. The last time the Thames froze over was during the brutal winter of 1962, now known as the “Big Freeze.”

Nov. 24, 1540 – The DeSoto Expedition visited the ancient Indian town of Cabusto (Zabusta), located probably on the west bank of the Black Warrior River at St. Stephens Bluff in Greene County, Ala.

Nov. 24, 1642 – Abel Tasman became the first European to discover the island Van Diemen's Land (later renamed Tasmania).

Nov. 24, 1713 – Novelist Laurence Sterne was born in Clonmel, Ireland. He is best remembered for his 1760 book, “The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.”

Nov. 24, 1784 - Zachary Taylor, the 12th President of the United States, was born in Barboursville, Virginia.

Nov. 24, 1807 - Mohawk Chief Thayendanegea, also known by his English name, Joseph Brant, died at his home in Burlington, Ontario. Before dying, Brant, an educated Christian and Freemason, reportedly said, “Have pity on the poor Indians. If you have any influence with the great, endeavour to use it for their good.”

Nov. 24, 1841 – Arthur P. Bagby of Claiborne, Ala. was elected to succeed Clement C. Clay, who had resigned, in the U.S. Senate. Bagby would serve in the senate until June 16, 1848, when he resigned.

Nov. 24, 1859 - Charles Darwin, a British naturalist, published "On the Origin of Species." It was the paper in which he explained his theory of evolution through the process of natural selection.

Nov. 24, 1859 – Architect Cass Gilbert was born in Zanesville, Ohio.

Nov. 24, 1861 – During the Civil War, the USS Jacinto delivered Confederate Commissioners Mason and Slidell to Fort Warren in Boston Harbor, Mass.

Nov. 24, 1861 – During the Civil War, Federal forces, with the assistance of the USS August, Flo, Pocahontas, Savannah and Seneca, occupied Tybee Island on the Savannah River near Savannah, Ga. and in proximity to Fort Pulaski.

Nov. 24, 1861 – During the Civil War, wealthy 40-year-old Memphis merchant Nathan Bedford Forrest set forth with the regiment he raised and commanded on their first mission into Kentucky, headed to Caseyville and Eddyville. With his philosophy of “get there first, with the most men,” Forrest became one of the most feared Confederate commanders of the Western theater.

Nov. 24, 1861 – During the Civil War, a skirmish was fought at Johnstown and Lancaster, Mo.

Nov. 24, 1862 – Confederate General Joseph Eggleston Johnston was appointed to overall command of an immense territory in the Western part of the Confederacy. His command included all of Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, as well as western North Carolina, northern Georgia and eastern Louisiana.

Nov. 24, 1863 – During the Battle of Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee, Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant captured Lookout Mountain southwest of Chattanooga and began to break the Confederate siege of the city led by General Braxton Bragg. The Confederates abandoned the mountain by late afternoon.

Nov. 24, 1863 – George Anderson of the Conecuh Guards was killed at the Battle of Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tenn. William Hodges of the Conecuh Guards (wounded at Gaines’s Farm) was taken prisoner at Lookout Mountain and died near Washington, Ga. in 1865.

Nov. 24, 1863 – During the Battle of Lookout Mountain, Noah Dallas Peacock (Lewis Lavon Peacock’s older brother) was shot in the left leg, just below the knee, during an engagement at Knoxville while serving with Co. F, 15th Alabama Infantry, Army of Tennessee. He was apparently sent to recuperate at Campbell’s Station, but was captured by the Union there on Dec. 8.

Nov. 24, 1869 - By joint resolution of the legislature, Alabama ratified the Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The amendment guaranteed the right to vote to blacks, including former slaves.

Nov. 24, 1871 - The National Rifle Association was incorporated in the United States.

Nov. 24, 1874 - George Smith Houston, a Democrat, was inaugurated governor, signaling the end of Reconstruction in Alabama. In addition to defeating the incumbent Republican governor, Democrats won control of the state legislature, leading them to claim "redemption" for Alabamians from the rule of "carpetbaggers" and "scalawags." It would be more than 100 years before another Republican would be elected governor of Alabama.

Nov. 24, 1877 – Anna Sewell's animal welfare novel “Black Beauty” was published.

Nov. 24, 1878 – John Lemuel Bowden was born at Claiborne, Ala. and he would become Monroe County (Ala.) Sheriff in 1923.

Nov. 24, 1893 - Mathew Anderson, who established the Anderson Stage Stop on the Old Federal Road along the Conecuh-Monroe county line, passed away.

Nov. 24, 1902 - A dramatic version of Alabama author Mary Johnston's book “Audrey” opened on Broadway.

Nov. 24, 1906 – A 13-6 victory by the Massillon Tigers over their rivals, the Canton Bulldogs, for the "Ohio League" Championship, led to accusations that the championship series was fixed and resulted in the first major scandal in professional football.

Nov. 24-26, 1908 – The annual state reunion of the Alabama Division of the United Confederate Veterans was scheduled to be held in Mobile, Ala.

Nov. 24, 1911 – National Baseball Hall of Fame left fielder Joe Medwick was born in Carteret, New Jersey. He went on to play for the St. Louis Cardinals, the Brooklyn Dodgers, the New York Giants and the Boston Braves. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1968.

Nov. 24, 1914 – W.H. Snowden, a prominent citizen of Brooklyn, Ala., passed away at the age of 73. He was born and raised at Brooklyn and lived there his entire life. He enlisted in 1861 with Co. E (Conecuh Guards) of the 4th Alabama Infantry and served with General Robert E. Lee in all of his Virginia campaigns. Snowden was “permanently disabled” during a skirmish at Lenior Station, Tenn. on Dec. 16, 1863. He was a member of Camp Wm. Lee, No. 338, UCV. (Some sources say he died on Nov. 25, 1914.)

Nov. 24, 1915 – An oyster supper and dance were scheduled to be held at the Masonic Hall at Perdue Hill, Ala. on this Wednesday night as a fundraiser for the “benefit of the school.”

Nov. 24, 1915 – The fall term of the Monroe County (Ala.) Circuit Court adjourned on this Wednesday evening. “The docket was unusually light and all cases were disposed of either by trial or continuance.” Judge Turner and Solicitor McDuffie were to travel from Monroeville to Clarke County, Ala. where court was scheduled to convene on Nov. 29.

Nov. 24, 1938 – The Evergreen Courant reported that Depew “Pete” Meredith, who had been The Courant’s advertising manager since that August, was leaving to become the editor and business manager of The Brundidge Sentinel, effective Dec. 1.

Nov. 24, 1947 - John Steinbeck's novel "The Pearl" was published for the first time.

Nov. 24, 1959 – Booker Prize-winning novelist and essayist Arundhati Roy was born in Shillong, India. She is best known for her 1997 book, “The God of Small Things.”

Nov. 24, 1963 – In the first live, televised murder, Lee Harvey Oswald, the alleged assassin of President John F. Kennedy, was murdered on national television two days after the Kennedy assassination, by Dallas nightclub owner Jack Ruby in the basement of Dallas police department headquarters.

Nov. 24, 1971 – During a severe thunderstorm over Washington state, a hijacker who became known as Dan “D.B.” Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient Boeing 727 plane in the airspace between Portland, Oregon and Seattle and extorted $200,000 in ransom and then parachuted from the plane to an uncertain fate. Despite an extensive manhunt and an ongoing FBI investigation, the perpetrator has never been located or positively identified. The case remains the only unsolved air piracy in American aviation history.

Nov. 24, 1996 – “In Cold Blood,” a two-part TV miniseries based on Truman Capote’s book, “In Cold Blood,” originally aired on CBS. The second episode aired on Nov. 26, 1996.

Nov. 24, 1996 - Barry Sanders of the Detroit Lions set an NFL record when he recorded his eighth straight 1,000-yard season.

Nov. 24, 2000 – In this day’s issue of The New York Times, Margaret Mittelbach and Michael Crewdson reported on the city’s vampire scene “that had been going strong since the mid-90s” and the many nightclubs that cater to the “daylight-challenged” in their article, “Vampires: Painting the Town Red.”

Nov. 24, 2003 – National Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Warren Spahn passed away at the age of 82 in Broken Arrow, Okla. During his career, he played for the Boston/Milwaukee Braves, the New York Mets and the San Francisco Giants. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1973.

Nov. 24, 2012 – Major League Baseball’s James Franklin “Jimmy” Stewart passed away at the age of 73 in Tampa, Fla. Born in Opelika, Ala. on June 11, 1939, Stewart graduated from Lafayette High School in 1957 and went on to play for the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago White Sox, the Cincinnati Reds and the Houston Astros.

Daily Rainfall Observations from SW Alabama for Tues., Nov. 24, 2015

Rainfall (past 24 hours): 0.00 inches

Week to Date Rainfall: 0.00 inches

Month to Date Rainfall: 7.30 inches

Fall to Date Rainfall: 11.45 inches

Year to Date Rainfall: 47.85 inches

Notes: Today is the 328th day of 2015 and the 63rd day of Fall. There are 36 days left in the year.

Readings taken at 0700 hours Central Standard Time (1300 GMT) daily, just west of the Monroe-Conecuh County line and south of U.S. Highway 84, near Excel, Alabama, USA, in the vicinity of Lat 31.42834°N Lon 87.30131°W. Elevation: 400 feet above sea level. CoCoRaHS Station No. AL-MN-4, Station Name: Excel 2.5 ESE.