Sunday, May 23, 2010

I can't believe that LOST is finally over...

Like millions of other people tonight, I watched the final episode of LOST. In fact, it wrapped up about 15 minutes ago, and I’m still reeling from the effects and trying to process it all.
There is little that I can say that won’t cheapen the experience of the finale for true, die-hard fans. For those of you who aren’t into LOST and have never watched the show, you’ve really missed out on something special.
Many series finales come up short and are unable to deliver because of all the build-up and hype. However, I think the writers, producers and actors of LOST pulled it off. The series, and especially the final season and finale, are master examples of fine storytelling and will be hard to top. Even small touches, like how the series began with a close-up of Jack’s eye and how it ended with a close-up of his eye closing, weren’t overlooked.
I honestly believe that years and years from now, this series (primarily its scripts) will be viewed as fine literature and will likely be studied as one of the great all-time stories ever told. In short, it was an epic tale that rivals or surpasses such tales as Beowulf, The Lord of the Rings, Hamlet, The Odyssey, etc., etc.
Of course, there were a few questions left unanswered. Foremost in my mind are these: Where did the island come from? What was the light at the heart of the island? Who built the contraption that keeps it in check? When did they build it? Where did they go?
In the end, I plan to eat up all of the old re-runs that I can. And I imagine that, if I’m lucky, in the decades to come, I’ll be able to sit back and say that I was one of those millions who watched the final episode of LOST and while the shows of that time will likely be pretty good, they’re going to have to be damn good to top Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, John Locke, Desmond, Ben, Sayid, Jin and Sun, Miles and all the others. Thanks for six great seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment