Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PBR is pretty dang good

A few days ago, I got the chance to sample a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer for the first time ever.
I know. I know. I swear that I haven’t been living under a rock. It’s just that for whatever reason, I’ve never had the opportunity to sample this wide-ranging and popular brand of beer.
With that said, I’ve officially dubbed Pabst Blue Ribbon as my third favorite beer, right behind Miller High Life and Guinness Stout.
Pabst Blue Ribbon, often referred to as PBR, is sold by the Pabst Brewing Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Simply put, this beer tastes almost like the fabled ambrosia of the gods. Since I couldn’t put it any better myself, here’s what Brewers Association president Charlie Papazian, said about PBR in 2008.
“A contrasting counterpoint of sharp texture and flowing sweetness is evident at the first sip of this historic brew. A slowly increasing hoppiness adds to the interplay of ingredients, while the texture smooths out by mid-bottle. The clear, pale-gold body is light and fizzy. Medium-bodied Blue Ribbon finishes with a dusting of malts and hops. A satisfying American classic and a Gold Medal winner at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival.”
Apparently, PBR has enjoyed success as a great tasting lager for sometime. Here’s how the inscription on the can reads: This is the ORIGINAL Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Nature’s choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America’s Best in 1893.”
In my defense, I must admit that one reason I’ve likely never tried this beer is because it’s hard to find where I live. Only because I was seeking out a new beer for this blog did I happen up it in the lower right-hand, fog-enshrouded corner of the large beer cooler in the back of Lee’s Quick Stop, which is located on U.S. Highway 84 on the Monroe-Conecuh county line.
In the end, I wonder how many of you have tried PBR and what you think about it. Is it all that I’ve made it out to be or is it the next best thing to “The Beast.” Let me know in the comments section below.
For more information on PBR visit http://www.pabstblueribbon.com/. (And, as always, don’t be an idiot. Drink responsibly and never drink and drive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment