Monday, December 31, 2012

BUCKET LIST UPDATE - No. 872: Drink a root beer float

I scratched another item off my bucket list on Sunday when I enjoyed a root beer float for the first time ever.

Obviously, this wasn’t one of those Climb Mount Everest-type bucket list items, but it was a fun and enjoyable experience nonetheless. I added this item to my bucket list several months ago after reading a list of unusual foods. I knew that I’d had a “Coke float” before, but I couldn’t honestly say that I’d ever eaten a root beer float.

I knew that a root beer float was pretty easy to make, and I wanted to make one on my own if possible. I did a little research on Wikipedia and YouTube and learned that all you really need is vanilla ice cream, root beer, a glass and either a spoon or straw. On Sunday morning at the Super Wal-Mart in Monroeville, my daughter and I rounded up a half-gallon of homemade vanilla Blue Bell Ice Cream and a two-liter bottle of A&W Root Beer, and we were all set. Total cost was less than $8.

As it turned out, not only had I never had a root beer float, but my wife and kids had never one either. We remedied that on Sunday and before the day was over, we’d consumed all the ice cream and root beer. In other words, we thought they were mighty tasty.

To make a root beer float, I used an ice cream scoop to add three scoops of ice cream to a regular, dinner-size glass. Next, I slowly poured in the root beer. It fizzed a lot, so I let the bubbles die down before adding more. After putting everything away, I used a spoon to eat my root beer float, but I can see where a nice, long straw would have been helpful in the end to get everything out of the bottom of the glass. Armed with just a spoon, I did my best not to waste any of it.

While researching root beer floats, I learned that they’re also known as a “black cow” or “brown cow.” Also, I read that the exact origins of the root beer float are shrouded in mystery. Many believe that the first root beer float was served in August 1893 in Cripple Creek, Colo., where Cripple Creek Cow Mountain Mining Co. owner Frank J. Wisner began mixing ice cream and root beer as a drink for local children.

This project also got me to wondering about what other types of floats you could make by mixing other beverages with ice cream. A little research told me that instead of root beer you can also use grape soda, strawberry soda, ginger ale, lemon-lime soda and other beverages. Of course, I couldn’t help but wonder what a Guinness Extra Stout float would taste like. Turns out, this is called a "Shakin' Jesse," and yes, I do plan to try that out some time soon.

In the end, I enjoyed scratching another item off my bucket list. How many of you have ever had a root beer float? What did you think about it? Can you recommend any other unusual foods? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment