Thursday, February 20, 2020

Many prominent landmarks dot the landscape of Conecuh County, Alabama's old Nichburg community

Bethesda Baptist Church at Nichburg, Alabama.

About 13 miles from downtown Evergreen, as you travel down Rural Street and then onto the Loree Road, you’ll find yourself in the Nichburg community. Many readers have no doubt traveled through the historic Nichburg community, which sits between Brantley Switch and Burnt Corn Creek, northwest of Belleville. Most maps show “downtown” Nichburg at the intersection of the Loree Road and County Road 23, which is also called Church Road.

How Nichburg got its name is somewhat of a mystery. In Virginia O. Foscue’s book, “Place Names in Alabama,” there is no entry for Nichburg. More than likely, the community takes its name from its former post office, which operated within the community from 1906 to 1923.

Last Thursday, I found myself in Nichburg and took the time to visit some of the community most prominent landmarks. My first stop was at the Bethesda Baptist Church, which has one of the most distinctive steeples in all of Conecuh County. Instead of being topped by a cross, it’s topped by what appears to be a crown.

The front of this church also features a distinctive cornerstone that reads: Bethesda Baptist Church, Organized in 1909, Rev. H.J. Stallworth, New Church Built By Rev. R.E. Cotton In 1975, Dedicated Oct. 19, 1975, Deacon L.L. Autrey, Deacon W.E. Stallworth, Deacon Nathaniel McMillion, Deacon M.S. Stallworth, S.J. Bennett, G.M. of F.&.A.M. (Later research revealed that S.J. Bennett was the Grand Master of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama, Free & Accepted Masons, from 1967 to 1999.)

Adjacent to the church you’ll find a large cemetery, which I’d say contains about 150 graves. The oldest marked grave that I saw belonged to little Dorothy T. Nicholson, who was just 29 days old when she died in August 1908. In all, there about 30 members of the Nicholson family buried here, which makes me wonder if the “Nich” in the community’s name might be taken from the “Nich” in the surname “Nicholson.”

From there, I hopped back in my truck and eased down to the old Nichburg Junior High School building, which sits across from where County Road 23 runs into the Loree Road. Many travelers along this road have seen this building, which is missing almost all the back wall that faces the highway. The section of wall that includes the school’s main entrance still remains as does an old cement cornerstone that reads, “NICHBURG JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL, 1966, GEORGE C. WALLACE, GOVERNOR.”

From there, I continued west down the Loree Road and eventually pulled over at the Burnt Corn Creek Bridge. The creek was badly swollen from all the recent rain, and I could not help but wonder what this area must have looked like centuries ago before settlers and pioneers moved into this area. A significant water source like Burnt Corn Creek would have made this prime real estate for Indians. With this in mind, I would not be surprised to learn that there are ancient Indian village sites and old Indian mounds in the Nichburg area.

On the way back towards Evergreen, I decided to cut down County Road 23, where I knew that there was a historical marker about half a mile from the Loree Road. Those who have seen this historical marker before will know that it’s the Old Stallworth Landmark, which memorializes the lives of Anderson and Flora M. Stallworth, who died in the early 1900s. This landmark, which is located up a short dirt drive, is easy to see from the road thanks to a large United States flag that flies over the memorial.

As I drove by there last Thursday, I noticed a small, old cemetery that I’d never seen before. I pulled over, put the truck in park and got out to see a sign that told me that this was the “Straughn Cemetery.” This old cemetery sits atop a roadside embankment and looks to contain about 15 graves. As far as I could tell, everyone buried there was last-named “Straughn.” The oldest marked grave that I saw belonged to Brantley Straughn, who died at the age of 11 in September 1826.

I eventually got back in my truck and headed back to Evergreen. On the way back into town, I thought about all that I’d seen in Nichburg and realized that these few old landmarks are probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the community’s full history. It would be interesting to know what some of the community’s long-gone residents would think about Nichburg today.

In the end, I’d like to hear from anyone in the reading who has any more information about Nichburg’s history, especially how it got its name. Also, let me hear from you if you know of any old Indian village sites or mounds in this area. All of this is important because if we don’t take the time to document this history today it will become lost for the generations of Conecuh County residents to come in the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment