Monday, March 17, 2014

BUCKET LIST UPDATE No. 131: Read “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle

“A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle is a book that I can remember from way, way back. When I was a kid, we used to have book fairs at school, and the teachers would file us into the library to look at all the books. I don’t remember exactly how old I was, but I was young, and I can still vividly remember seeing a copy of “A Wrinkle in Time” at one of those book fairs.

The book had a distinctive cover that made a big impression on my young mind. It featured a winged centaur flying over a green, red-eyed face. When I looked at this book, I wanted it, but alas, it was out of my price range.

Afterwards, for whatever reason, I drifted along through the years and never took the time to buy or read this book, which won a Newberry Award in 1963 as the year’s top book for children. Fast forward to 2012 when I read that "A Wrinkle in Time" was celebrating its 50th anniversary. This announcement reminded me that I’d still hadn't read this classic children’s book, which is why I officially put it on my “bucket list.”

Up until a few weeks ago, I still didn’t own a copy of this book, that is, until one Friday recently when I walked into the Ol’ Curiosities & Book Shoppe in Monroeville. While scanning the shelves, I happened upon a $3 copy of the 2007 edition of “A Wrinkle in Time.” I know a bargain and an opportunity when I see one, and a few minutes later I left with a copy of a book that I've wanted to read for over 30 years. I finally finished reading it on Saturday.

For those of you unfamiliar with “A Wrinkle In Time,” it’s a science fiction novel for children that was released in 1962. The main character is a girl named Meg, who travels through time and space to rescue her father, a government scientist who’s gone missing. Her adventures take her, her brother and a friend to far off worlds, where they find her missing dad and bring him home.

This book is considered a classic, but it’s also one of the most challenged children’s books out there due to its portrayal of witches and magic. With that said, you will find it on a number of “best of” lists. Earlier this year, Amazon ranked it No. 11 on its list of “100 Books to Read in a Lifetime,” and The Art of Manliness Web site ranked it No. 38 on its list of “50 Best Books for Boys and Young Men.” In 2007, the National Education Association ranked it No. 20 on its list of “Teachers’ Top 100 Books for Children,” and AbeBooks.com listed it on its “50 Essential Science Fiction Books” list.

I was also surprised to learn that “A Wrinkle in Time” isn’t a stand alone book, but is actually the first book in a five-part series called the "Time Quintet." The other books in the series include “A Wind in the Door,” “A Swiftly Tilting Planet,” “Many Waters” and “An Acceptable Time.” Perhaps I’ll get around to reading all of those some day.


In the end, how many of you have read L’Engle’s “A Wrinkle in Time”? What did you think about it? Did you like it or not? Did you read it as a kid? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment