Saturday, June 20, 2020

George Singleton claimed to have photographed panther near Monroe County's Bear Creek in 1972


File photo of black panther. 
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Panthers are not extinct in Monroe County” was originally published in the Dec. 7, 1972 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

I had on several occasions noticed the large cat tracks in the soft earth when I was riding the back trails in the area of Bear Creek. On one occasion, I saw what I thought was a huge cat jump some distance in front of me as I descended a steep hill in the same mentioned area. After seeing this animal, I was determined to explore the possibility of getting its picture to prove to the unbelievers that these cats really exist in this area.

William Day of Peterman, who works for the State Forestry Department, had mentioned that he had seen what he thought was a large cat one day while on duty at the Cobb Fire Tower. According to Day, it seemed to be a large cat with two smaller kittens. Day described the larger of the three as weighing about 75 to 90 pounds. The two smaller ones looked to be about 18 inches high and weighing around 30 to 35 pounds. The description of the larger cat seemed to fit exactly the one that had crossed in front of me earlier. And judging from the tracks that Day showed me, it must be one and the same.

I was surprised one afternoon when my phone rang, and it was Day saying that one of the kittens had come out in the clearing around the tower and licked a freshly discarded sardine container. This began the first of a long process of trying to get this cat recorded on film. Open cans of sardines were placed in the vicinity of the tower, hoping the odor of the canned fish would bring out our panther kitten from its hiding place.

Several trips were made out to the tower area by myself and my friend Charles Raymond Floyd. A contest of a type was beginning to form without either of us realizing it, seeing who would be the first to photograph this rare animal. On one occasion, Charles Raymond was in the tower with Day, when the kitten came into the clearing. Several pictures were made, but the distance was too great from the top of the tower. Nothing about the size of the cat could be decided from the pictures.

Charles Raymond and I decided to set up shop in the house or office at the edge of the clearing. The sardines were placed within camera range of the window where we would be sitting should our visitor decide to come out in the opening. We waited for several hours on different occasions but to no avail.

One afternoon around one o’clock, Day called me and said that the kitten was in the clearing near the tower. He told me that I might get some pictures if I would hurry over. Within a few minutes, I was seated near the open window in the house near the tower. I waited for an hour – nothing happened. Another hour passed, still nothing moved.

Just as I was beginning to get ready to leave, Day called me on the phone from the tower. He said the kitten was entering the clearing from the north side. I got into position, trying not to make any noise that would give away my position by the window. Slowly the panther kitten circled the clearing – always keeping his eyes on the open window where I was waiting. I had taken the screen away from the window earlier so as not to obstruct my view if the chance arose.

A grass sparrow flew near the kitten. Like a flash, the kitten moved – catching the bird about five feet above the ground. After what seemed like an eternity waiting for the kitten to eat the bird, I sat and waited, hoping the panther would come over to our bait. The kitten kept looking toward the open window. Slowly it circled the clearing, keeping a distance of about 80 yards between it and the camera. Never once did it come near the open can of sardines.

I took the best shots possible under the circumstances and after watching the kitten for a few minutes, I decided to try and slip out of the house and in my automobile. Just as I moved from the chair where I was sitting, the cat bounded into the brush. He had detected my movement.

There is a Federal law that protects these animals and regardless of the old tales one hears about these cats, they are quite harmless. They prey upon a few rabbits and birds occasionally. Bugs and field mice are part of their diet and maybe a sick or wounded deer now and then.

I, for one, think they should be protected. They are another way that nature keeps its balance. In closing this article, I find myself looking forward to the time when I can see these graceful creatures roaming unmolested across the hills and valleys of our great county.

(This article also included a photo of a small cat taken by Singleton, which included the following caption: This baby panther, which probably weighs between 30 and 35 pounds, was spotted in a clearing near Cobb Tower by photographer George Singleton. This panther is one of three sighted in the Bear Creek area by Singleton.)

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment