Friday, December 4, 2020

Eli McMorn and the Strange Case of Kill Devil Hill – Part 14

Something was wrong. It shouldn’t take this long to hike to Kill Devil Hill. At the most, it should take less than an hour to hike the two miles west through the woods to the isolated, Cyclopean landmark.

I set off on foot from my Jeep a few minutes after noon. That was two uncertain hours ago. I can’t say for sure how long it’s been. My wristwatch stopped at 19 minutes after 12.

As soon as I entered the dismal woods, circumstances started to slow me down. It was as if the woods wanted to keep me from spending the night atop Kill Devil Hill on what was forecast to be a cold All Hallows’ Eve. Right away, it started to rain, and unsettling, dark clouds forced me to use my headlamp to find my way through the dark trees.

My brass compass – a relic of World War II – was useless, unable to give me a simple bearing west. I pulled it from my pocket and checked it again. I opened it with a snap and watched the red needle creep round and round in a fruitless effort to find magnetic north.

The ancient ground was covered with a thick layer of decayed leaves and pine straw. I kicked away a clear spot with my boot and saw chunks of iron rock, like football-sized lumps of brimstone, mixed in with the loamy soil. No doubt these dense, rust-colored rocks played havoc with the old compass. I snapped it closed and stowed it away.

Wide, marshy bogs that I had to navigate around also slowed my progress. On my topo map, these dank wetlands were shown only as thin, blue lines, appearing to be nothing more than streams that I could jump over. In reality, they were black, stagnant ponds filled with venomous snakes and bloated spiders.

I let my heavy backpack slip from my shoulders, so I could adjust my wet-weather top. Suddenly and without warning, a motion at the base of a nearby tree caught my eye, and I jumped back. It was a loathsome, black cottonmouth, moving slow on this second day after the first frost. The deadly snake slithered furtively towards a marshy bottom fifty yards away.

The sluggish snake had been lurking near the base of an archaic post oak. A few feet from the ground, the surface of the tree was covered with thick, green moss. I knelt for a closer look. This was the north side of the tree.

I turned to my right and looked into the distance for a point that would carry me west towards Kill Devil Hill. The trees were close together here, but I saw a rotten tree about 100 yards away that looked like it had been struck by lightning. I shouldered my pack and made my way towards the blasted tree.

I reached the gnarled tree to find it alive and well. The large, dead spot that caught my eye from a distance was an amorphous patch of trunk that had been stripped of bark. In the center was a carved, stylized rune that looked pagan, probably wiccan, maybe voodoo.

The carving looked like two triangles joined at the point. My mind associated the rune with the hourglass mark of a black widow, a creature worshipped and feared by the Piachi Indians. However, the oddly female form also called to mind the image of a bird or a bat.

I’d seen arborglyphs before in the Sinks outside of Claiborne, but not this particular rune. It was hard to say what it meant, but it didn’t look fresh. It had been carved over a year ago, maybe longer.

I examined the enigmatic rune closely with my magnifying glass. Tiny marks told me it had been carved with a short-bladed knife. I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture of the odd symbol. I’d look it up later at the college library.

I faced west and peered into the distance. There, about 100 yards away, was another curious tree that looked like it also had been struck by lightning. I knew I’d find another tree stripped of bark and marked with a similar, if not identical, cryptic rune.

I picked up my pack and made two steps in that direction when I heard a twig snap nearby. The dense trees and patter of rain made it impossible to pinpoint the source of the disturbing sound. I drew my Beretta and chambered a round.

I was not alone.

(All rights reserved. This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment