Saturday, December 8, 2018

George Singleton recounts the tale of the record-setting hitchhiking grasshopper of September 1975


(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Won’t let go: Grasshopper hitchhikes on jeep” was originally published in the Sept. 18, 1975 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

During the months that I have been trying to write about local happenings in Monroe County, I have witnessed many things.

I have watched many types of animals in their native surroundings, and have had the opportunity to photograph several of these.

I have watched the black female panther feed and play with her offspring and have placed certain foods nearby and watched her come almost within touching distance to eat this and then slowly disappear as silently as she had come.

I have seen the death struggle between two of nature’s deadliest enemies: I watched the struggle to the death between a king snake and a rattlesnake. I have watched nature balancing itself in its rawest form.

Trip into backwoods

And, too, I have seen the lighter moments when all things seem to go as planned, as though everything happened for my amusement. One of these was a recent Sunday afternoon when I decided to take a trip into the backwoods to the north.

As I guided my jeep out of the driveway, I noticed a small green grasshopper walking around on the jeep’s hood. I didn’t think much about it at first because I knew he would blow off in the wind.

But to my surprise, he was still there 20 miles later. I began to guess to myself when my passenger would leave.

I left the paved highway and turned down the dusty back roads. I was sure that the grasshopper would tire of the dust and noise as the jeep bumped and rattled over the rough, rocky roads.

Still there

Several times I would stop to make pictures and would be away from the jeep for quite a long while. Each time I would bet myself that when I returned, he would be gone. But, each time, there he was, perched on the hood.

As I started the engine, he would move toward the front, letting the air blow through his long feelers as though he was enjoying it.

When I stopped, he would move back toward the windshield into a shady spot until the jeep began moving again.

This went on for several hours as we made our way in a giant circle through the hills and began to head homeward.

Posing for picture

As the sun began to descend the horizon, I stopped one last time and photographed my traveling companion. He sat as though he was posing for his picture, never moving once I placed the camera within inches of his body.

As I pulled into the yard and stopped the jeep’s engine, only then did my companion leave his place on the hood. With one giant hop, he disappeared into the grass nearby.

As I watched him leave, I checked the mileage indicator, and the grasshopper had ridden for nearly 70 miles and nearly six hours. Could be a new world’s record for hitchhiking grasshoppers.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment