Saturday, September 7, 2019

Singleton recalls beautiful sunset in the 'high hill country' near Franklin


"Appeal to the Great Spirit" statue in Boston.
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “When all else fails, try a sunset” was originally published in the Aug. 27, 1998 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

Thurs., Aug. 20, had been hectic for me. It seemed as if everything I tried to do went wrong. The projects I had planned to complete became more and more difficult as the morning and midafternoon passed. As I completed trimming the grass around the edge of the yard, I realized that I needed some time to myself for a few moments of relaxation and peace of mind. So, putting away my weed trimmer and other tools, I rolled out my iron horse and headed north on Highway 41. For some strange reason, the hill country has a magnetic effect on me most of the time.

Crossing Flat Creek, I made my way up Highway 41 to the high hill country this side of the community of Franklin. Pulling out of sight of the highway, I halted my iron steed and sat down for a few minutes of rest and relaxation. Looking west, I knew I was in for a treat. On the distant horizon, the makings of a glorious sunset were beginning to take shape.

A few heavy clouds had slowly assembled there in the distance. The golden glow of the evening sun made it appear a huge glowing ball was trying to hide among the clouds. Streaks of gold, red and purple penetrated the pillows of clouds as though trying to escape from behind them.

Off in the distance, several more clouds were moving slowly toward the ball of fire as if they were a small herd of cattle coming to join the others. Beyond these clouds it appeared as if a huge golden orange blanket had been hung like a glorious curtain, in the western sky.

The beautiful picture was breathtaking. Sitting there in total amazement, I realized that I wasn’t tired any more. I had been cured of my aches and pains. I realized how lucky I was to have chosen to witness this glorious event. Sitting there, I thought of those who have no earthly idea of the beauty I was seeing. Many pay good money to be a part of celebrations throughout the state, none of them witness the total splendor I was experiencing.

I don’t think words can accurately describe the beauty that was before me. The sky appeared as though a giant painter had swept the vastness with a brush dipped in purple and gold paint. Finishing touches of golden rays had been added across the deep purple of clouds to complete this miracle before me.

As the golden sun began to sink into the horizon, I wondered again how anything could be so beautiful. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that something like this didn’t just happen, the Master’s hand had to be in control. As the huge glowing disc sank into the deep purple clouds, the golden rays reached higher into the gold and purple skies. It was as if they were reaching for something there, high in the heavens.

No man could have witnessed what I had just seen and not believe in the Creator. Standing there in the quiet of the glowing shadows, I thought of the early Indian holy men or “Windwalkers” as they were often called. I knew if they had witnessed this sunset, they could not resist giving the Great Spirit credit for the glorious beauty of the sunset. Unable to resist the calling within, I got to my feet, raised my arms toward the setting sun and prayed the prayer of an old Indian Windwalker that had been taught to me many years ago by my darling Grandmother.

“Oh Great Spirit that holds all things in one hand, and the glorious setting sun in the other, reach down and touch my soul and give me strength that I may run with swiftness of the deer, and I may have the strength of the giant oak that grows by the rippling waters.

“Give me wisdom that I might seek food and shelter from the cold winter winds that howl down from the north. Guide my hands that I may use only that which I need and that I may walk straight and true toward the sunset.

“And as I grow old from the passing of many winters, let me look into the dawn of that great new day when I will rest forever by the waters that give Eternal life. In a land where air is pure and the skies are forever blue; in a land where time is not measured by the seasons, but only in forevers.”

As the darkness settled across the hill, I knew the time was at hand when I had to return to the world around me. Looking to the western sky, the beauty I witnessed had faded as though a huge hand had erased the glorious and golden picture. As I made my way back down the narrow trail, I was glad I had come. I had witnessed this evening more beauty than some probably ever see in a lifetime.

The cool brisk air of the hill country thrilled my soul as I sped along the paved highway that would carry me back to my dear wife and home that I had left. Looking at my watch, I knew that supper time was fast approaching, and the meal that my wife had prepared would be wonderful. Thinking of the beautiful display of the heavens that I had just witnessed, I knew that I had done the right thing by coming this way. Now I was rested and peace abounded within me. The cool evening air in the Limestone Creek bottoms welcomed me; home was a short distance away.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment