Sunday, July 26, 2020

Eli McMorn and the Strange Case of Kill Devil Hill – Part Six


My metal folding chair creaked as I turned to watch the guard bring in Tommy Lawson. The guard, whose red, rummy eyes hung down like those of an exhausted hound, led Lawson around to the chair on the opposite side of the wooden table. Lightning flashed outside as a thunderstorm continued to ruin the dismal afternoon.

The links in Lawson’s handcuffs clinked on the tabletop as he sat. “You want me to leave his restraints on?” the guard asked. The badge on his faded gray uniform shirt said “Sherman,” which made me wonder if that was his first name or his last name.

I looked at Lawson and sized him up. He was scrawny and had seen better days. Rode hard and put up wet.

His craggy face was riddled with acne scars. Greasy strands of black hair hung down around his melancholy face. There was a macabre tattoo of a black widow spider on top of his right hand, faded with age.

“You can take the cuffs off,” I said. “We’ll be fine. Right, Tommy?”

Lawson nodded as the guard produced a stubby key from his shirt pocket. A few seconds later, the restraints were off, and the guard left the gloomy room.

“You want to know about Kill Devil Hill?” Tommy asked.

“That right. How’d you know?”

“I just know,” he said. “Just like me and you have never met, but I know you’re Eli McMorn, nightshift reporter at The Claiborne Herald.”

I figured the guard must have told him who I was and had maybe given him the option to deny the interview. It would have saved the old guard a few steps and simplified his shift.

On the other hand, Lawson could be a regular reader of the newspaper. For years, The Herald has dropped off a complimentary bundle of papers at the Haines Island mental hospital for its staff and inmates. I’d seen a copy of today’s edition at the nurse’s station when I walked down the hall.

“You were the lone survivor from that night,” I said. “I want to hear your side of the story.”

“Why?”

“People say it’s impossible to spend an entire night on top of Kill Devil Hill, and I plan to do just that,” I said.

A wide grin broke across Lawson’s face. “Your funeral,” he said. Through his parted lips, I could see a wet, moldering tooth in one corner of his mouth. Lightning flashed outside, boom of thunder followed, a whiff of ozone wafted down from the flickering fluorescent lights overhead. “You’ll find out if you go up there.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because if you’re not bright enough to let sleeping dogs lie, then you get what you deserve,” he said. “I wonder who’ll write the story about you. Maybe they’ll come see me one day with questions about you.”

I ignored him and tried to get him back on track. “What were you guys doing that night?”

“Just fooling around, like kids do,” Lawson said. “You know, something that was never mentioned is that I only knew one of the kids who died that night. Jimmy Creason was his name.

“He would show up sometimes to listen to my band, the Dagons. We had the same tastes in music. I didn’t travel in the same circles with the others.”

“So how’d you end up on Kill Devil Hill with the rest of them?”

“We’d talked about the hill before,” he said. “Jimmy knew that I could guide them to the hill in the dark. Which I did.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I was a lonely teenager who would do anything to fit in.” Lawson drummed the fingers of his right hand on the tabletop, and I observed that his fingernails had been chewed down to the quick. The spider tattoo on the back of his hand moved oddly with the roll of his skeletal fingers.

“So what happened?”

“I took them up there,” he said. “They set up their little tents and got a cheesy campfire going. We’d been there for a while, and everything was cool until Jimmy’s sister brought out that Ouija board. That’s when everything went sideways.”

(All rights reserved. This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment