Thursday, July 16, 2020

Travis Bridge is historic river crossing and landmark in Conecuh County

Travis Bridge in Conecuh County, Alabama.

Just a few days ago, I was sitting in the newspaper office on Rural Street and happened to look out the window to see rays of bright sunshine shining down on the vehicles, buildings and trees outside. This got my wanderer’s blood to stirring and, not having anything pressing at hand to worry about, I decided to jump in my truck for a little exploring. I struck off down U.S. Highway 31 and before I knew it, I found myself at Travis Bridge.

Located about 11 miles from downtown Evergreen, Travis Bridge carries travelers back and forth over the Sepulga River. Sources say that the name “Travis Bridge” first appeared on county highway maps in 1965, but county residents know this name to be much older. In fact, Travis Bridge shows up in newspaper stories from well over a century ago.

Sources say that before a bridge was built over this site years ago, an old ferry took travelers back and forth over the Sepulga River. According to Aubrey Padgett, who has lived in this part of the county for most of his life, the current bridge at this location is the third such bridge to have been built there since at least 1900. One is left to wonder who built the first bridge there and when.

A few seconds after I crossed the bridge, I turned left onto the dirt road that took me under the bridge and down to the boat landing. A few minutes later, I found myself standing at the water’s edge. For the most part, I had the place all to myself except for a turtle who was sunning himself nearby on a half-submerged log.

On this particular day, the river was up and flowing fast, carrying its brown waters down to Staples Bridge, Bull Slough and points beyond. It was then that I was reminded that the name “Sepulga” is believed to come from the Choctaw word for “smokey.” Others say the river’s name comes from the Creek expression for a “grove of yaupon,” an evergreen holly shrub that we’ve all seen.

Travis Bridge is also the uppermost point on the Sepulga River Trail, which attracts many kayakers and canoeists to this part of Conecuh County. Many tell of finding fossils and shark teeth during these long trips down the river. During my brief visit to Travis Bridge the other day, I didn’t see any fossils or shark teeth, but I did spot a nest of recently hatched turtle eggs in a bed of sand near the river bank.

While there, I also spent a few minutes looking at the old flood monitoring station that’s located a short walk into the woods from the landing. This tall concrete structure was built years ago to keep track of the river’s depth and potential for flooding. I could only guess as to when it was originally constructed, but I’d say it’s been around at least since the late 1940s.

Eventually, I climbed back into my truck and pointed it towards Evergreen. On my way back into town, my thoughts returned to Travis Bridge and all that I had seen there. No doubt for many years, this important river crossing has played a major role in the lives of many county residents.

In the end, I’d like to hear from any readers with more information about the history of Travis Bridge. I’m especially interested in hearing any old ghost stories, tall tales or local legends from this area. Also, let me hear from you if you know of any old Indian mounds or villages sites in this neck of the woods.

1 comment:

  1. My family lived on "Travis Bridge Road" according to the 1900 & 1910 census. I have yer to figure out the exact location, though.

    ReplyDelete