Friday, August 30, 2013

What did YOU think about J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Children of Hurin'?

I finished reading J.R.R. Tolkein’s “The Children of Hurin” a few days ago, and I highly recommend it to fans of “The Lord of the Rings,” “The Hobbit” and “The Silmarillion.”

“The Children of Hurin” was originally written by J.R.R. Tolkein almost 100 years ago, but the novel itself wasn’t published until 2007 after his son Christopher Tolkein edited his father’s manuscripts into a coherent story. Illustrated by Alan Lee, this 320-page book centers on the family of Hurin Thalion, the Lord of Dor-lomin, a man who is said to be one of the greatest warriors on Middle Earth. He and his wife, Morwen Eledhwen, have two children, a son named Turin and a daughter named Lalaith, who are the subject of the book.

This book reminded me a lot of “The Silmarillion,” which I read a few months ago, but I would say that “The Children of Hurin” is a lot more readable. Both books left me wondering if the guy who actually wrote these could have been the same guy who wrote the truly awesome fantasy masterpieces, “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit.” For me, “The Silmarillion” was a lot most unreadable due to its complexity. That’s not to say that it isn’t good, it’s just really dense.

“The Children of Hurin” also reminded me of a number of other books, including “Beowulf” and “Robin Hood.” Also, at times, scenes from “The Children of Hurin” also reminded me of scenes from George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” series, which I’ve been reading my way through in recent months. At other times, I also sensed the influence of Shakespeare and Norse mythology in “The Children of Hurin.”

“The Children of Hurin” was very similar to “The Silmarillion,” but it was more entertaining. The story had battles, trickery, romance, elves, dwarves, orcs and a lot of other elements that made it hard to put down. Turin is arguably the book's main character and you follow him from boyhood until the day he dies. He’s a sympathetic character and you’re left rooting for him right up to the end.

I think fans of Tolkein will enjoy this book for the simple novelty of it. Published 34 years after the author’s death, it gives Tolkein fans something to enjoy when they’re not re-reading “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit.” I’d also venture to say that most hardcore Tolkein fans will enjoy “The Children of Hurin” more than “The Silmarillion.”

“The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” have also been made into major motion pictures, and I think that “The Children of Hurin” would make a good movie too. It could even be billed as a prequel since the events all take place centuries before the events in “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit.” I’m not sure who I’d cast in “The Children of Hurin,” but the options are wide open.

In the end, how many of you have read “The Children of Hurin”? What did you think about it? Did you like it or not? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment