Saturday, June 8, 2019

George Singleton tells of search for Tristan de Luna's grave in the 1960s

Tristan de Luna y Arellano

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Friday the 13th was good” was originally published in the June 19, 1997 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

I have always been told that Friday the 13th was always an unlucky day. But, this Friday, June 13, turned out to be quite enjoyable. I awoke this day to find that my “honey do” list was almost next to nothing. After seeing what my dear wife had planned for me to do, I had to sit down and reassure myself that this short list was correct.

After a quick raking around one of my wife’s favorite bushes in the yard, I was told that I had nothing else to do. Acting as quickly as possible before my dear spouse could change her mind, I quickly mounted my motorcycle and headed west on Highway 84. I knew that I had plenty of time to decide just where I was going after I got out of sight of the house.

The 30 or so miles to Grove Hill was a time of dodging log trucks and the heavy traffic that moved along the highway. Just this side of Whatley, I madde a right-hand turn and proceeded to travel down the Old Line Road. I had traveled this road many times, but always enjoyed to return along this ancient path and relive the memories and visit historical spots of earlier times.

Perhaps, as many of my readers might know, this old trail along this high ridge was once the dividing line between the Choctaw and the Creek Indian nations. Over the years, many of the earlier settlers that came this way passed down this ancient trail. If one searches the heavy timbered and brushy areas along this old road, one will find many lone graves and several small burial grounds where those who died along the way were laid to rest.

A quick stop along the way was to visit the graves of a couple of friends of mine whom I had known at an early age and had grown up with. As I read the date of births and deaths, I remembered that one had been born just one day before my birth. We had started to school together and had attended the same school until she had moved away from near the small town of Sweet Water. Her husband, who was buried nearby, was a history buff and he and I had spent many hours digging and seeking out the many ancient Indian village sites along this trail. And, we had spent countless hours searching and retracing the route of DeSoto and his army when they moved along the ancient trail in October 1540. DeSoto’s nephew, DeLuna, also traveled this route in the year of 1561. Somewhere along the way, near where Silver Creek joins the Alabama River, DeLuna fell ill and died. He and his war horse were buried in full military armor somewhere near the mouth of Silver Creek. In 1967, the government of Spain offered a $250,000 reward for proof of the exact location of the burial place. My departed friend, whom I mentioned earlier, spent many hours searching for the final resting place of DeLuna and his horse.

As I made my way down the narrow and twisting road to the community of Lower Peach Tree, I thought of the many hair-raising stories that had been told to me about the happenings along the old road. As I stopped for a quick, cold soda pop, in the heart of Lower Peach Tree. I remembered the many stories of the terrible tornado that passed this way a number of years ago and completely wiped out the community of Upper Peach Tree. I remembered being told the story of a farmer in the area whose horse was picked up by the twister and was later found in a pasture up near the Selma area. The horse was unhurt except a few skinned places on his legs.

From Peach Tree, my journey led me on to the community of Sunny South. Stopping in front of an old abandoned house, I remembered being in a group of young people who came here with intentions to sit and wait throughout the night, looking and listening for the ghost of an old man who was said to occupy the old house. Needless to say, the group didn’t say, the group didn’t stay until shortly after midnight when strange sounds of doors slamming and loud screams filled the vacant rooms of the old house. It took quite some time to gather up the members of the group as they raced, frightened out of their minds, along the old road leading from the area of the haunted house.

From Sunny South to the community of Vineland, and then on to Dixon Mills was the route for my iron horse and me. Following Highway 10 brought me to the town of Sweet Water. Here, I stopped for a few moments to visit the graves of my mother and father and my older brother. I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to return here on Father’s Day, so I came this way today. Standing there beside their final resting places, many memories came to mind. Very few had been as fortunate as myself to have had such wonderful parents. Knowing that they were now resting in total peace, I made my way toward the community of Nanafalia.

Turning west on Highway 69, I stopped in the communities of Putnam and Morvin to visit the graves of two of my great-great-uncles. Both had worn the uniform of the Confederacy. After the dreaded war, they returned here to live out the remainder of their lives. Their brother, my great-grandfather, never returned. He fell in battle during the bloody fighting of Shiloh, on the banks of the Tennessee River. Today, he sleeps, perhaps in one of the several burial trenches there on the battlefield.

A slight rain began to fall as I made my way westward toward the community of Campbell. Turning back toward Tallahatta Springs and Opine communities, it wasn’t long before I was passing through Gilmore Gap. As I sped along across the high hill, I thought of the stories that I had heard of the many hardships suffered by those crossing this area in the horse-drawn wagons many years ago. According to the old tales relayed to me by my dear grandmother, this area had not been an easy place to settle.

A quick stop in Grove Hill for a long awaited and overdue sandwich was very refreshing. As I pulled out on the highway, I noticed the clouds had grown heavier during the time I was eating my lunch. Oh well, I had been wet many times before, today was no different, after all, it was Friday the 13th. Everything had gone well so far.

Masses of heavy trucks and a few sprinkles of rain slowed my progress as I made my way east on Highway 84. Today had been my lucky day, as I pulled my motorcycle under the carport, the rain increased. The timing couldn’t have been better. Today had truly been my lucky day. I could now face another “honey do” list almost totally refreshed. Remember, I said “almost.”

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment