Sunday, May 10, 2020

Eli McMorn and the Strange Case of Kill Devil Hill – Part One


About 10 miles south of The Herald’s three-story Victorian office building in downtown Claiborne, there’s a place that the old-timers called Kill Devil Hill. Odd thing is, most folks around here have never heard of this mysterious landmark – and for good reason. Those who had first-hand knowledge of this strange place either have died or have sense enough to keep their mouths shut.

Those who have been to Kill Devil Hill know that it’s about 50 feet high and made mostly of large chunks of cyclopean iron rock. The hill pokes up in the middle of a flat, wild tract of timber that’s been leased up for years for hunting and logging. Some say the hill even looks like the famous Devil’s Tower out in Wyoming, just not so big.

I’ve got my long-dead grandfather to thank for most of what I know about Kill Devil Hill. He even took me there once, but only once. It was a hot, snaky day in the summer after I finished the sixth grade.

He knew the spot well. It was less than two miles from his house and not far from where he’d been born in the back of a wagon one stormy night. His mother was in hard labor, and his father was driving the horses hard to get her to the town doctor. They never made it to town and blamed the early birth on being too close to that old, haunted hill.

On the summer day that my grandfather took me to Kill Devil Hill, he drove his old pickup as close as we could get to the hill before we had to stop and continue on foot. This was back in the days before game cameras, and since turkey season was over, we weren’t too worried about being spotted by a hunter. My grandfather was a country church deacon and a Mason, but I’ve often wondered what he would have said if someone questioned why we were trespassing on private property.

I’d been in the woods with my grandfather many times, and I knew he could move through the woods as quiet as an Indian. Keep in mind that he was well into his seventies and as white-headed as an open cotton bur, but he could move through the thick undergrowth and over the uneven ground like a probing Rebel skirmisher. He’d lived all of his life in this part of the world, and his red heart beat with the frequency of all that was around him.

On this day, however, he seemed to be on edge, nervous, nigh anxious. Several times, he stopped, head tilted as if listening. Once, I started to question him about this, but he put out a hand to silence me. “Just trying to get my bearings,” he said.

Our route eventually took us splashing across a shallow branch and a short distance later, we emerged into a clearcut. Ahead, looming like some type of out-of-place mesa was an upshoot of rock that I knew without asking to be Kill Devil Hill. My grandfather didn’t say a word as we picked our way towards the base of the hill.

When we arrived, he said something that I will never forget. “Boy, I want you to take a good look around. You’ve seen this place with your own eyes now, and you know what it looks like. Soak it all in because I don’t want you to ever come back. This place is evil.”

Without another word, he turned and began climbing the dim trail towards the top. 

I followed.

(All rights reserved. This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment