Saturday, May 23, 2020

Singleton said lower Monroe County volcanic rock resembled monster

George Buster Singleton

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Rock formation resembles huge monster” was originally published in the Jan. 15, 1976 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

As I roam the countryside and observe the wonders of natures, there are times when it seems that the Creator of all beautiful things might grow tired of making everything pretty and pleasing to the eye.

He does, at times, make things that make us notice that everything is not beautiful – some things are different, odd and sometimes even ugly.

Such was the case of the odd-shaped rock formation that I came across in lower Monroe County. This odd phenomenon seemed to me as a huge prehistoric monster, frozen in time but ever waiting to pounce on any unsuspecting prey who entered his domain to despoil it.

A sixth sense

Man has developed a sixth sense. When he is being observed by unseen persons, he is aware of it, in most instances. This is the feeling that came over me as I walked around the huge, odd-shaped formation. It seemed as through the sightless eyes were following me everywhere, I went.

The atmosphere seemed thick, and each movement or sound was magnified to the point that I found myself trying not to make any noise that might awaken the monster and cause it to become angry. And always I would turn, expecting the eyes to be moving in my direction.

The trees and brush around the rock formation were empty of birds, as though they felt as I did. They, too, seemed to keep their distance.

I knew that this was only a large pile of volcanic rock, but the feeling that came over me is hard to explain.

I know that all these things are His creations and can be appreciated if received in the right perspective, open-mindedness and imagination. But I found it hard to cast the feeling from me that this thing was not really alive and watching.

As I returned to my Jeep through the woods, the temptation to turn and look into the sightless eyes was overwhelming.

[This column included a photo taken by Singleton that had the following caption: South Monroe County rock formation resembles monster.]

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment