Saturday, September 12, 2020

George Singleton writes of Fonderoy Fishue's waterbed misadventures


(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Waterbeds are just not Fonderoy Fishue’s thing” was originally published in the Sept. 12, 1991 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

This is a letter written by my friend, Fonderoy Fishue, to his Cousin Slim about Augusta Jill, his wife, who used his timber money to purchase a waterbed. It appears that something has gone wrong at the Fishue home, or waterbeds are just not Fonderoy’s thing.

My Dear Cousin Slim,

I take pen in hand, really not knowing how to explain my situation with my plump wife, Augusta Jill. As you know, I love that big woman dearly, but there comes a time when one has to draw the line, and now is one of them times.

As I told you earlier, there is nothing that I wouldn’t do for my adorable wife, Augusta Jill. I don’t think that I have talked to you since I sold the timber on the old home place.

Well, I did, and when I was paid for the timber, Augusta Jill started then and there about us getting one of them new-fangled waterbeds. She said that she had read where after sleeping on one of them waterbeds, a person who would feel as much as 20 years younger. After the trouble that we have had, I believe that it put an extra 20 years on my life.

Well, Cousin Slim, we took that timber money and got in our pickup truck and headed to that store where them fancy beds are sold. I tried all the way to the store to talk Augusta Jill out of that thing. But she wouldn’t listen. She was determined that before another night had passed, she would have slept on the water.

I even suggested that we just go back home and get my skiff boat and go to the river. She could sleep in the skiff, and I could wrap up in a quilt and lay down on the bank until morning.

Cousin Slim, that woman got mad. She hit me so hard on the left shoulder until I could hardly drive my pickup into town.

When we got to the waterbed store, this funny-looking man met us at the door. After talking to Augusta Jill, he just smiled a crazy-looking smile and carried us all the way to the back of the store to show us one of them waterbeds that was already set up and ready to be slept on.

I wasn’t about to get to bed right there in that store in the broad open daylight and let everybody look at me laying there in my underwear. And, I wasn’t about to go to bed with my clothes on, Cousin Slim. You know my mamma taught us better than that.

After seeing that I wasn’t going to get on that funny shaking bed, that funny-looking man told Augusta Jill to just kinda stretch out on that bed for a minute. That big woman jumped right up in the middle of that bed, Cousin Slim.

You would have thought she had jumped up on a sleeping bull yearling. All that water started to slosh around in that big rubber-looking balloon, and Augusta Jill was almost slung off that waterbed thing.

I saw right then that we didn’t need that thing, but that big woman of mine told me in no uncertain terms that she wasn’t going back home with me unless I bought the contraption.

I knew that I couldn’t leave her there, remembering them wedding vows and things that I swore to when we got married. But, Cousin Slim, I was almost tempted.

I sure hated to pay my good money for that thing. After counting out almost all my much-needed timber money to that funny-looking man, he said that he would deliver it to our house and set it up, I was glad, because I told him that I wasn’t too good when it came to reading instructions. He said he wanted to get out and see our part of the country.

Well, he was true to his word, Cousin Slim. He and another fellow set that funny bed up in no time flat. The only work that I did was to hand him the water hose through the bedroom window and turn the water on when he hollered.

I’ll bet my water bill is going to b $50 this month. Since we got on this rural community water system, it costs like heck to pay for just the water Augusta Jill uses just to take a bath. I’ll be that big bladder-looking thing held over 500 gallons.

Yesterday was the first day that I ever went to bed at 3 p.m. in the afternoon. But Augusta Jill insisted that we go to bed, just as soon as that man and his helper left. I sure got a tongue-lashing from that big woman when I started to bed with my life jacket on. You remember the one that I carry fishing with me. She also told me that I wasn’t about to sleep in her new waterbed with them rubber boots on.

Last night was the first time in my life that I was ever sea sick. If someone had told me that I would get sea sick in my own bedroom, I would have called them crazy. I’m sure glad that I didn’t ever join the Navy, Cousin Slim. I would sure have been buried at sea. That sloshing water almost killed me last night. I lost everything that I had eaten for the past three days. That didn’t set to well either with Augusta Jill. I tried to walk to the kitchen this morning. I couldn’t keep my feet on the floor. Augusta Jill’s sister, Gussie Maude, said that was known as having sea legs.

Things don’t look too good right now, Cousin Slim. Gussie Maude plans to spend the night with us. Says she can’t wait to sleep with us on that waterbed thing. Might just slip out and sleep with Ole Blue (that’s my dog… Ole Blue).

Yours truly,
Fonderoy Fishue

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment