Saturday, March 30, 2019

Singleton lauds the blooming of wild mountain laurels in the 'Red Hills'

Wild mountain laurel blooms.

(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Beauty of Mountain Laurels” was originally published in the March 25, 2004 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

The Good Lord certainly knew what He was doing when He made the wild mountain laurel.

Today, March 18, was a perfect day to journey into the high hill country and view the wondrous beauty of the wild mountain laurel beginning to bud.

Their primitive beauty had just begun to dot the red clay hills of the Red Hills area. Here and there across the high ridges, the first blooms of this primitive beauty had begun to burst forth, making way for all that grew along the high ridges to follow later in all their beauty.

Many of the places where the mountain laurel had been so beautiful in the spring of 1996 had been damaged quite some years ago when a tornado swept across the Red Hills area. But, these beautiful and hardy hill flowers will not be destroyed.

As one examines the damaged area, one will see that the strong mountain laurel is slowly breaking through the red clay where once stood a large and beautiful flower.

As I stood there and looked at the struggle for survival of this beautiful flower, I was reminded of a beautiful country girl struggling to help her family to survive there in the rough hill country, but yet retaining the wondrous beauty of a red-headed mountain girl, standing there on the side of a steep red clay hill.

I am aware of the many beautiful flowers that abound throughout our area – the roses, azaleas, violets and many more. But, I have never seen any flower that will compare with the glorious mountain laurel or the most beautiful goldenrod that blooms during the fall months of the year.

I believe our Creator didn’t allow these two beautiful wildflowers to blossom during the same time of year because both were so beautiful until He chose to have each bloom at different times of the year. Both blooming at the same time would be more beauty than so many of us country folks could take.

Parking my vehicle, I walked over and began to examine the pinkish red and purple blooms of the mountain laurel in detail. It didn’t take but a minute to see that these were created by the Master Painter himself. With all of our know-how, we are yet unable to create anything so beautiful and perfect as these blooms that were before me. I was re-affirmed once again, that only He was capable of creating something so beautiful and so perfect.

What was so amazing was that those who were the most beautiful and perfect were the ones that grew in the worst places there on the hillside. A perfect and most beautiful mountain laurel grew majestically and proud on the steep edge of one of the worst looking gullies to be found there on the hillside. Standing there observing the glorious wild laurel, I remembered the old saying “that beauty is to be found anywhere.” This I believe with all my heart.

But, the wild mountain laurels were not the only beautiful thing to be found there in the Red Hills country. Scattered around throughout the area, the wild honeysuckles were struggling also to make their comeback after the terrible tornado has seriously damaged the hill country.

There, among the underbrush that had survived the tornado and the logging crews that had harvested the damaged timber, the wild honeysuckle was also determined to survive there on the red clay hillside.

As I made my way across the red clay hills, I thought of the early families who had lived at one time in the hill country. I thought of the many stories told to me by my good friends who had families that had dug a meager living out of the clay hilltops that surrounded the hill where I was standing.

With plenty of time on my hands, I sought out several old home places that wait almost unknown in their forgotten locations around on the hills in the grown up areas.

I visited again the old community cemetery there in the high country. This was the third visit to the old burial ground within the last few weeks. Regardless of the times coming here, I always seek out the burials of the old Confederate soldiers who sleep here. Those with such names as Wiggins, Stabler, Tolbert and two or three more are buried here. These men chose to join the cause of the South in the terrible Civil War and then return to their beloved hill country and be buried here to wait for the final roll call.

As I finished my tour of the old cemetery and home places, I returned to the area where the beautiful mountain laurels were beginning to bloom. Pulling off the dirt road, I sat down to meditate a bit and enjoy my surroundings. I had hardly gotten seated, when off to my right sounded the gobble of a wild turkey.

Thrilled at the call of the wild turkey gobbler, I found myself wishing that no hunters were in the area to cripple or kill this wonderful creature. I got my wish, because the wild gobbler called out at least six or seven times more.

The breathtaking beauty of the blooming mountain laurels and the calls of the turkey gobbler were something almost beyond describing. Sitting there, listening to the calls of the wild gobbler and enjoying the wondrous beauty of the blooming mountain laurels, caused me to feel sorry for those who were not a witness to what I was enjoying.

Looking across the red clay hills at the primitive beauty before me, I knew once again that this I was witnessing wasn’t by accident. The hands of my Creator had set the stage with the beauty and sounds around me. I was glad that I had come.

As I headed my transportation back toward home, the words of an ancient Indian prophet came to mind:

O’ Great Spirit, give me strength
That I may stroll across the land
And marvel at Thy Creation.
Let me go where the wild mountain laurels
Sway in the gentle breeze.
Let me smell the
Fragrance of the wild honeysuckles, as I rest
In the shade of the lofty cottonwood tree,
While listening to the lullaby of the winds.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born to Vincent William Singleton and Frances Cornelia Faile Singleton, during a late-night thunderstorm, on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County, graduated from Sweet Water High School in 1946, served as a U.S. Marine paratrooper in the Korean War, worked as a riverboat deckhand, lived for a time among Apache Indians, moved to Monroe County on June 28, 1964 and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from June 28, 1964 to Dec. 14, 1987. He was promoted from the enlisted ranks to warrant officer in May 1972. For years, Singleton’s columns, titled “Monroe County history – Did you know?” and “Somewhere in Time” appeared in The Monroe Journal, and he wrote a lengthy series of articles about Monroe County that appeared in Alabama Life magazine. It’s believed that his first column appeared in the March 25, 1971 edition of The Monroe Journal. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment