Saturday, April 10, 2010

Starbucks caramel drink doesn't stack up to Mocha

Today, for the first time, I tried Starbucks Coffee’s caramel flavored Frappuccino Coffee Drink.
Some of you may remember that, earlier this week, I heaped praise on Starbucks’ Mocha flavored coffee drink, and this morning I ran the ol’ modified Pepsi challenge taste test on the caramel version to see which one was the better of the two.
On the way home from work today I bought a 9.5-ounce bottle of the drink from the BP gas station in Atmore, and it was good and cold. I don’t know if I was just that thirsty, but it didn’t take me long at all to finish off the bottle.
In short, the caramel drink tasted and smelled great. While it did have a hint of caramel flavor to it, the taste wasn’t overpowering. This drink also seemed to have more of a coffee taste to it than the Mocha version. The caramel drink also has a very pleasing smell. Just seconds after I twisted off the cap, I caught a whiff of caramel that conjured up mental images of little caramel cubes in mamma’s candy jar.
On the downside, there’s nothing low calorie about the caramel drink. The 9.5-ounce bottle contained 200 calories, which is a lot for a drink that size. On the upside, this small drink also contained six grams of protein, which is about as high as you’ll find in many fitness drinks.
If I had to pick between the two, I would probably go with the Mocha first, but the caramel drink is a close second. As far as I know, the drink comes in only one other flavor – vanilla. I plan to try it in the coming days, and I’ll report on my findings then.
In the end, I give the caramel drink a B-. It tasted good, but it wasn't the best thing that I've ever had.
If you’re interested in trying these drinks for yourself, you’ll likely find them in your local convenience store’s drink cooler. Just look for the short, distinctive glass bottles (sort of like old timey milk bottles) with the Starbucks logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment