One of my favorite Web sites is listverse.com, which features an interesting Top 10 list everyday. Not only does this fit in nicely with my natural pull towards best-of lists of all types, but I’ve found the content on the site to be very educational.
Listverse published a list a few days ago that was particularly good. It was called “10 Most Terrifying Places on Earth.” I’m reprinting the list here tonight in homage to my old buddy Robert Oswalt who recently moved to Kansas and now lives close to No. 8 on the list.
Here’s the complete list:
10. Riddle House (Palm Beach County, Fla.)
9. Helltown (formerly Boston Township in Summit County, Ohio)
8. Stull Cemetery (Stull, Kansas, see photo above)
7. The Ridges, aka, Athens Lunatic Asylum (Athens, Ohio)
6. Humberstone and LaNoria (Abandoned mining towns in Chile)
5. Byberry Mental Asylum, aka, Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry (Philadelphia, Penn.)
4. Leap Castle (Ireland)
3. Shades of Death Road (Rural New Jersey)
2. Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, formerly Khmer Rouge Security Prison 21 (Phnom Penh, Cambodia)
1. The Mines of Paris (Paris, France, not to be confused with the more well-known Catacombs of Paris)
To read the complete article about these places visit: http://listverse.com/2010/07/07/10-most-terrifying-places-on-earth/. This is one of the more interesting lists they’ve published in a while.
In the end, have any of you ever been to these places? If so, what did you think about them and would you ever go back? Let us know in the comments section below.