Monday, October 5, 2015

The Evergreen Courant's News Flashback for Oct. 5, 2015

OCT. 9, 1986

“Conecuh & Butler Masons: All Master Masons from the Dean, Downing, Greening, McKenzie, Garland and Georgiana lodges are urged to meet at the Castleberry lodge Thurs., Oct. 9, at 7 p.m. Work will be concerning the proficiency in the first three degrees of Masonry. The new district lecturer will be present. All Masons are urged to attend.”

“The Evergreen City Council met Tuesday night for their regular meeting with all members present.
“The first order of business for the council was to hire a new city clerk. Laurice A. Harold, a long-time employee of the City of Evergreen (28 years) was hired as the clerk by a vote of 3-2. Mrs. Harold replaced Miller T. Sellers, who retired Sept. 30 after 30 years with the city.

“Plans are being announced this week for Conecuh Heritage Festival, which will be centered in downtown Evergreen on Sat., Nov. 8.”

“Lt. Gov. Bill Baxley brings his campaign for governor to Evergreen on Fri., Oct. 10. He will visit some local plants, local merchants and the Conecuh County Courthouse Friday morning.”

“The Fall Term of Circuit Court, Conecuh County, concluded Friday with the trial of a civil case. Only one case on the criminal docket went to trial last week.”

OCT. 14, 1971

“John Crum Sessions and Herbert Brown, both outstanding members of the Evergreen FFA Chapter, left Monday to attend the National FFA Convention in Kansas City, Mo., which continues through Friday. Today, Sessions, son of Mayor and Mrs. Henry Sessions, will be presented the National FFA Award in Processing. Brown, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Brown and past State FFA Vice President, is serving as a member of the Courtesy Corps at the convention. Both graduated from Evergreen High School in May and are students at Jefferson Davis Junior College in Brewton. Their chapter advisor is Dave Fleming.”

“Run-aways nabbed, folks get ‘em back, with neat haircuts: Two Florida boys who had run away from home broke into Ray Brothers Grocery at Travis Bridge about midnight Friday. Sheriff James (Shorty) Brock and his deputies quickly solved the case and the boys were picked up in Greenville the next morning.
“The two 14-year-old white youths had left their homes in Ft. Walton, and were hitchhiking to Ohio to the home of one’s sister. They had only a dime between them and broke into the store to get something to eat. They stole some soft drinks, cookies, chewing gum and a transistor radio.
“The boys were brought back here and held in the county jail until Monday morning when the sheriff released them into custody of their parents. Prior to their release the boys were taken to a local barbershop and their long hair cut. As Sheriff Brock said: ‘They left here with neat haircuts.’"

OCT. 11, 1956

“Two cases tried last Thursday completed Criminal Court Week here in Conecuh County.
“Ruby Lee Ball was found not guilty by the jury Thursday on a charge of the shotgun slaying of Eddie Fair last May 19 here in Evergeen.”

“Ground Broken, Work Begins In New Annex To Methodist Church: Ground was broken Sunday morning for the Sunday School Annex to the Education Building at the Evergreen Methodist Church.
 “The building will contain seven classrooms, and will have two bathrooms.”

“Two Jailed Here Tuesday Following 100 mph Chase: Fred Myles of Ackworth, Ga. is being held in Conecuh County jail on charges of driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident, and possible charges of car theft. A woman companion, Foy Reynolds, age 28, alias Foy Brady, of Summerville, Ga. is being held for investigation.
“Myles was captured after a 100-mile an hour chase by Highway Patrolman Wallace Jackson. According to Jackson, the car driven by Myles sideswiped a truck at the north end of Travis Bridge, and Myles left the scene of the accident, attempting to escape. Jackson spotted Myles about three miles outside Evergreen, and gave chase to Evergreen, and on out the Brooklyn Road at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, to a point near the old drive-in theatre, where Myles was apprehended.”

OCT. 9, 1941

“Evergreen Boy On Duty With Marines: Walter C. Wells, 24, formerly of Evergreen and now a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve recently graduated from the Platoon Commander’s School at the Marine Barracks, Quantico, Va., and has been assigned to active duty with the regular troops of the Marine Corps.
“Wells is the nephew of Mrs. E.E. Newton of this city. He attended Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill., and received his B.S. degree in June 1940.”

“Yankee Division Passes Through Here: Thousands of Yankees from New England’s 43rd Infantry Division passed through Evergreen early this week as the division’s huge motorized convoy headed back to Camp Blanding, Fla. at the completion of Louisiana maneuvers.
“The New Englanders traveled back to Florida in a four-day convoy which came to this community on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as the men headed for Andalusia, where the third night of their five-day trip was spent at a bivouac area.
“A total of 17,137 men drove through Evergreen during the week and exchanged greetings with the residents as the Northern soldiers saw a section of the South most of them have never seen before.”

“A young boy, son of Willie Paralee, was seriously injured Monday night when he dashed in the path of an automobile driven by Ted Bates on Highway 31 near the Montgomery Oak Flooring Co. mill. The child was carried to Carter Hospital, Repton, immediately after the accident and late Wednesday was still living.”

OCT. 13, 1926

“The Arcade Theatre is advertising a return engagement of ‘The Birth of a Nation’ for Oct. 25-26. This was shown by the Arcade about one year ago and as on all occasions and at all places, proved to be a very popular attraction. The picture has been shown in practically every theatre in the whole country one or more times and always draws a crowd. Many people who have seen it, take advantage of the opportunity to see it a second time. It is truly a great production.”

“Preliminary Hearing Delayed Two Days: The preliminary trial for Dan W. Presley, Curt Coleman and Henry Presley, charged with killing Newman Wiggins, will come up Thursday morning, Oct. 14, at 10 o’clock. The trial was first set for Tues., Oct. 12, but was put off on account of unavoidable absence of some of the defense attorneys. The hearing will be held before Judge S.P. Dunn and will attract a large number of people to town.”

“COURANT PUBLICATION DAY CHANGED TO THURSDAY: Beginning with the next issue, The Courant will be published on Thursdays instead of Wednesdays as heretofore. This issue will also mark the beginning of a new publication year, which will be the 32nd.
“It is believed by the management that the change of publication from Wednesdays to Thursdays will prove of mutual benefit to all concerned. It is our desire to serve our readers and advertising patrons in the most acceptable and beneficial way possible. After careful consideration, we believe this change is necessary. We trust that it will meet with the approval of our people.
“We shall go to press early Thursday morning, thus enabling us to have all papers in the mail by 12 o’clock, in time to get off on both north and south bound mails, which pass in the afternoon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment