Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Wilcox County's Darlington community was named after prominent Washington, D.C. lawyer

Joseph J. Darlington
East of Camden, about halfway down the three-mile stretch of County Road 51 between State Highway 10 and State Highway 28, you’ll find yourself in the old Darlington community.

I was out riding around the other day, headed west on Highway 10 towards Camden, when I decided to cut north up County Road 51. I had not been that way in many years, so I took my time as I eased up the road towards Darlington. On this short drive, I encountered a couple of late season deer hunters, including a pair cruising along in a desert tan Humvee.

A few minutes later, I found myself in “downtown” Darlington, a place where you can see far and wide due to the lay of the land. A number of country homes and farms dot the landscape there as well as several sizeable ponds. All was quiet as I pulled out my trusty National Geographic map of the area and studied it from the cab of my truck.

On the map, I could see that Darlington lies between Little Wolf Creek and Prairie Creek, making this a prime location for ancient Indians as well as early pioneer farmers, two groups that would have made good use of the fresh water provided by both creeks. No doubt there are many old Indian village sites and burial mounds to be found in and around this area, and I would not be surprised to hear that plows have turned up a number of arrowheads and pieces of pottery over the years.

Years ago, Darlington was once so heavily populated that it even had its own post office. Old newspapers say that the post office was established in 1904, two miles north of Rosebud near the home of J.P. Miller. Joe Lambert Jr. was the first postmaster.

Interestingly, the post office (and community) takes its name from distinguished Washington, D.C. lawyer, Joseph J. Darlington, a native of Due West, South Carolina. Newspaper sources indicate that Darlington had “many college friends” in Wilcox County, and that the Darlington community was a “well named place.” The post office remained open until 1976, so some in the reading audience may well remember where it was once located.

Records reflect that Joseph J. Darlington attended Erskine College in South Carolina before attending law school at George Washington University. One is left to wonder who his Wilcox County friends were and where they attended school together.

If you ever find yourself in Washington, D.C., take a few minutes to visit Judiciary Park at the corner of 5th Street and D Street. There you will find a gilded bronze statue known as the Darlington Memorial Fountain. Darlington was so highly respected and well thought of at the time of his death that his friends had the statue erected in his honor.

In the end, let me hear from you if you know any more about the history of the old Darlington community. I’m especially interested in hearing more about Joseph J. Darlington’s connections to Wilcox County’s residents. Also, let me hear from you if you know of any old Indian sites in the Darlington area.

No comments:

Post a Comment