Saturday, April 5, 2014

'Testing a legend about drumbeats, ghosts dancing around campfires'

George 'Buster' Singleton
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Testing a legend about drumbeats, ghosts dancing around campfires,” was originally published in the Oct. 27, 1988 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

The story started shortly after the end of the Civil War. One of my maternal great-grandfathers came home from the war a wounded and broken man.

Due to a serious saber wound in the left thigh, he was not able to perform many of the duties that were required of a dirt farmer of west Alabama, who had to dig his very existence from the poor red soil that was his farm. So, during the times when he was not able to do manual labor due to a flare-up of his wound, he would try to write down some of the happenings around his small farm.

To the west of my great-grandfather’s farm was one of the highest hills in that part of the country. So it was appropriate that this large and steep hill was named the mountain.

An air of mystery

There was a certain air of mystery about the mountain. Many times when the local folk would turn to hunting to assist in the supply of food for their families, those who went to the mountain would return with all kinds of tall tales.

Very few of the local hunters would let darkness overtake them there on the mountain. Those who were unfortunate and were caught by darkness near and around the mountain would always come home with wild stories about ghostly figures dancing around campfires and hearing the sound of drums there on the mountain.

There is a tall limestone cliff on the northeast side of the mountain. At the base of the cliff was where the fires were always seen and the shadowy figures from another time would always be gathered.

The sightings were especially common during the time of the month when the moon was full. Also during the fall months and those of the winter when the air was cold and the trees would shed their leaves.

Ancient drums

To add further to the firelight mystery there on the other side of the mountain, those who witnessed the ghostly gatherings always told of hearing the dreadful sounds of what seemed to be some type of ancient drums that came from the darkness from behind the firelight. The sounds were told to be flat, not carrying far on the evening winds. Sounds that seem to be calling to the spirits of another time to come forth and join in their evening of fireside reunion, before the coming of the morning light that would push the darkness from the limestone crevices there on the side of the mountain.

The stories of the drums and the ghost dancers were passed down through the families of the area as they sat around the warm fireplaces on the chilly winter evenings. The older members would sit for hours and relate the exciting tales to the young grandchildren, who sat wild eyed and breathless, dreading the time when each had to depart to that dark room and to bed.

It was during one of these fireside gatherings that I first heard of the ghost drums and the fire dancers and the fires that flickered and leaped on the face of limestone cliff, there on the mountain.

Many years have passed since, as a young boy, I vowed that someday I too would witness the spiritual happenings there on the mountain. Gone are the members of my family who kept alive all the tales that would keep a small boy wide-eyed and spellbound four hours on end.

Tired of this world?

During the family’s annual cemetery cleaning and dinner on the ground this past year, I recalled the vow that I had made as a young boy. As I stood beside the final resting place of my great-grandfather I wondered if the ghost dancers had, too, grown tired of this world and had returned to that place in time that they understood and were free to enter.

So, during the full of the moon last October, when the cool evening winds blew across the hill, I made my way across a rough ravine that separated Highway 69 from the high hill that is commonly known as the mountain.

The evening shadows had begun to creep into the crevices along the cliff. I picked myself a spot where I would have full view of the base of the cliff. I then ate my meager supper of a dry sandwich and water from my canteen. I settled to wait for the darkness.

Over my shoulder to the east, the full moon began to rise slowly as though it didn’t want to expose itself to the chilly evening air. The shadows on the face of the cliff began to give way slowly as the moonlight crept ever so quietly down the smooth side of the cliff.

Waiting for what?

I was already hearing the muffled sound of the beating drums before I became aware of what it was. The sound was there as though it hadn’t started at all. I edged closer to the huge rock that I was leaning against. Chills crept over my body. I pulled my poncho tightly around my shoulders and waited. I realized then that I didn’t know what I was waiting for.

I listened for the usual night sounds. There were none – only the sounds of the drums that seemed to creep from the darkness.

Then I realized that I was seeing a small fire at the base of the cliff. Then there was another, and another. The flames seemed to reach upward, grasping at some unknown object.

It was during this time that I noticed the ghostly figures stepping from the shadows. The drums had now ceased; only the slight movement of leaves on the evening air gave evidence of any movement around, other than the flames of the ghostly fires.

As the five ghostly figures squatted around the fires, each in turn would stand as though speaking to the others. The hands of the one standing would point and gesture as though the subject of discussion had reached a critical point.

They joined hands

About 20 minutes had passed when the sound of the drums was heard again. Then, as though a signal was given, the ghostly figures from another time all stood up around the dying fires. At this point, all hands were joined as the drumbeats quickened. Then they started to circle the fires, dancing.

The drumbeats quickened once more; the dancing grew faster. The dance lasted about three minutes. Then, as quickly as one could snuff out a match, the dancers stopped their dancing. The drums became silent. The fires flickered and went out. And the ghost dancers disappeared as quietly and as quickly as they had come. The limestone cliff was bathed in moonlight again, as though nothing had happened, and the sounds of night rode the winds once again.

The story was true. I had fulfilled the vow that I had made as a child. I thought of my grandfather. The night was long and cold; sleep did not come for a long, long time that night, there on the mountain.


(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment