Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Evergreen Courant's News Flashback for Dec. 1, 2015

DEC. 7, 1967

LONG BINH, VIETNAM – Staff Sgt. William G. Johnson, son of William C. Johnson, Evergreen, Ala., receives the Army Commendation Medal during ceremonies near Long Binh, Vietnam, Oct. 21.
Presenting the award is Col. W.H. Pietsch, civil affairs officer for the II Field Force, Vietnam.
Sgt. Johnson received the award for meritorious service while serving as a supply sergeant in the 2nd Civil Affairs Co., II Field Force, Vietnam.

Evergreen’s two fire trucks are now just about as up to date as fire trucks get so far as appearance and safety lights are concerned. The Automotive Body Repair Class at Ed E. Reid State School recently knocked out all the dents and painted both trucks. City Electrical Department installed the new warning lights. Evergreen’s volunteers do an excellent job under the leadership of Chief Forrest Douglas.

These lovely young ladies reigned beautifully over the Conecuh County Christmas Carnival and were an attractive feature of the parade Nov. 29. Standing in the rear is Joan Ellis of Lyeffion, Princess Merry, and seated by her is Lynda Blackburn of Evergreen, Queen Joy. The three beauties on the left are Kathy Johnson, Lyeffion, and Gloria Monk and Deborah Williams, Conecuh High of Castleberry. Behind them are Kit Wynne, Evergreen, and Sistie Brown and Linda Bartlett of Repton.

DEC. 4, 1952

The Evergreen City Council has employed John Andrews, well known local resident, as member of the Evergreen Police Department. Mr. Andrews joined the force on Mon., Dec. 1. His employment brings the number of the force to four plus one part-time officer.
R.A. Emmons is Chief of Police. Other members of the force are Mr. Andrews, W.H. Williamson and H.L. Riley, Traffic Consultant. R.Z. Wells helps the enforcement officers on a part-time basis.

The Evergreen Junior Chamber of Commerce will stage its third annual and biggest yet Conecuh County Christmas Carnival in Evergreen Sat., Dec. 13.
The Carnival Parade, bigger and better even than last year’s at four o’clock will be the climax of the celebration, and at dark Evergreen’s Christmas lights will be turned on to burn through the season every night.
The guinea chase, a big laugh-getter and enjoyable event last year, is to be repeated this year. You don’t want to miss the excitement when 15 guineas are turned loose in No-Man’s Land Saturday morning. Each guinea will have a number of certificates attached to its legs which will entitle the person catching it to free gifts at various stores.

City Clerk Hunter Thornley states that one of the City Water Department’s new pumps has been delivered and is being installed. Early delivery of the other pump is expected.
When the installation of the new pump is completed the city’s new 25,000-gallon elevated water tank will be chlorinated and cleaned and then will be put into use.

DEC. 2, 1937

Prominent Merchant Dies Suddenly Wed. P.M.: Mr. Haiman Long, age 63, prominent merchant and citizen of this placed died suddenly at his home on Belleville Street at 1:40 o’clock Wednesday afternoon as result of a heart attack, an ailment from which he had suffered for several years.
Mr. Long was born on a farm in the province of Kovona, Latvia and spent his early youth there. He came to the United States in 1888 and for a time engaged in business in Philadelphia. He later moved to Chattanooga, Tenn., where he was in business for about two years. On July 8, 1890 he came to Evergreen and opened a business known as the “Red Front Store,” which concern was the nucleus for the present fine store known as “I. Long & Sons.” From that day until failing health forced him to retire, the deceased gave his full time and attention to this business.
He was a member of the local Masonic lodge, of the Bethel Synagogue and the Kanasha Ierael Synagogue of Birmingham.
The body was prepared for burial by Rutland’s and will be carried to Birmingham on Train No. 4 this (Thursday) afternoon where funeral services will be held sometime Friday.
His death is regarded as a distinct loss to civic and business life of the city and is universally deplored.

SULESTINE BATTEE KILLED IN FT. WAYNE, INDIANA: The body of Sulestine Battee, a former Evergreen man, was returned here for burial Sunday from Ft. Wayne, Ind. where he had lived for the past several years.
According to reports, Battee was shot by another man, whose name The Courant could not ascertain, the killing having taken place Thanksgiving night. No details of the killing could be learned.

DEC. 6, 1922

The Courant is a day late in reaching its patrons due to the recent illness of the editor. We beg our friends to overlook any other shortcomings of the paper until the editor fully recovers his strength.

There will be a Fiddlers Convention at Effie school building Saturday night, Dec. 9. Everybody invited. ADMISSION FREE. Also other attractions.

DEC. 4, 1907

Japanese Lecture: On Friday evening at the courthouse, (Prof. Kentaro) Shioi, a Japanese, will give a lecture on the Russo-Jap war, illustrated with moving pictures and stereopticon views. These pictures, it is claimed, were brought direct from the battlefield of Manchuria, and each will be explained by the Japanese lecturer. Admission will be 25 cents and 35 cents.

W.B. Salter, G.C. Dean and H.R. Betts of Betts and Jas. K. Kyser and John Morrison of Burnt Corn were here Monday en route to Montgomery to attend the Masonic grand lodge.

Passenger train No. 4, due here at 4:20 p.m., was thrown off the track Monday at Dyas creek. Three mail clerks were severely injured and the train badly damaged.

ETHEL SPENCE: Ethel Spence, aged 14 years, an inmate of the Orphans’ Home, met a horrible death of Monday. She arose at an early hour to make the fire and while using kerosene the oil exploded enveloping her in flames burning her body so badly that death ensued about noon. Ethel is said to have been one of the biggest girls in the Home, and her tragic death cast a gloom over not only the Home but the community. The funeral occurred yesterday.

J.H. FARNHAM: After a long and useful career, J.H. Farnham passed away peacefully on Monday afternoon. He lacked only about one month of being 88 years old.
Mr. Farnham was born in Massachusetts, but came to Alabama when quite a young man settling at Claiborne, later removing to Belleville, and though he conducted business here for many years, he always claimed Belleville as his home, where his body now reposes in the cemetery.

GEORGE KYSER: George Kyser, doubtless the oldest citizen in Conecuh County, died on Monday morning, Dec. 2, at his home near Bowles. He was born July 3, 1815, being more than 92 years old at the time of his death. He was a veteran of two wars, having done service in the Indian and Civil War. He had resided at the place where he died 61 years.

Costly Freight Wreck: Damage to the extent of $15,000 and the complete upsetting of the railroad schedules on the Montgomery and Mobile division of the Louisville and Nashville followed as a result of a peculiar wreck at Bolling on Sunday. Tracks were torn up for nearly a mile, ties were splintered into kindling wood and a trestle went down into the bed of a small stream, carrying with it three coal cars.

Dr. W.A. Mason and family left Saturday for their new home at Excel, where the doctor has been enjoying a successful and lucrative practice for the past four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment